HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

TranceEnergy, I have not received a call as MS said I would, so I will call them Monday. I installed IE8 on my XP x64 under VM and I had no problem with WUD. I also discovered that the /log:path installer switch not only does not work, but prevents the installer from running. Enjoy, John.

TranceEnergy, the IE8 support center was open today, so I called them. They have reported problems to the development team and they are being addressed. He said to keep your eye on the MS DL site and WUD for updates. He would make no predictions about time frame. Enjoy, John.

Well I'm back and had a great (if somewhat cold) time. While this is not the place to comment on my travels I just had to share one thing.

This photo was taken on a 10 hour flight from Beijing to Sydney, the user in question was told several times to fasten his seat belt and stow his laptop for takeoff.

While still climbing he pulled it out again and started gaming then settled down for a movie, when dinner came around most people would take a break, not this guy:

post-137148-1233563152_thumb.jpg

One has to wonder if he paid for it himself.

Kurt_Aust, glad you are back and had a great time. In reference to your picture: People are just strange, well, except for you and I.

On a technical note, apparently we will not have a slipstream function for IE8. Slipstreaming will be supported only in VISTA. See the Video at the end of ths post. Enjoy, John.

Well i find this a bit weird and all since ie8 beta 2 i know integrates.

New Java Sun RE 6 update 12, here follows direct download link to x86 then x64.

http://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfini...dows-i586-p.exe

http://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfini...ndows-x64-p.exe

Anyone got a working download link for IE8 beta2 ? Seeing as RC1 just has made everything fubar here. It only asks if i want to save anything as a file, and internet options is inaccessible (says there are restrictions in place, when there are none (i checked policies)). RC1 is totally useless for me, except if i want to save a file, lol.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Run2_XP-64.bat

rem startup delay to allow disk thrashing to subside before proceeding
TimeOut /T 120
[...]

If people would prefer it faster, they can use sysinternals' Sync for that. Like so:

%WINDIR%\sync

(and then of course have it as \$OEM$\$$\sync.exe or something..)

Make sure you register it, or it asks for eula acceptance.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Sync]
"EulaAccepted"=dword:00000001

Run2_XP-64.bat

rem startup delay to allow disk thrashing to subside before proceeding
TimeOut /T 120
[...]

If people would prefer it faster, they can use sysinternals' Sync for that. Like so:

%WINDIR%\sync

(and then of course have it as \$OEM$\$$\sync.exe or something..)

Make sure you register it, or it asks for eula acceptance.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Sync]
"EulaAccepted"=dword:00000001

You appear to have misunderstood the TimeOut's purpose, it's not there to flush the cache. It's there to allow time for system services and other applications to fully initialise before proceeding with the next round of installations.

Kurt, since you make a lot of use of the %SOURCE% variable in your scripts, I'd like to ask you this;

Something's off with the %SOURCE% variable using my install image (from a XP x64 SP2 source). It doesn't seem to yield the right path during cmdlines.

Here's my cmdlines content:

[Commands]
"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"
"runonce.cmd"

(I have no nlite.cmd since I don't use/have anything under GuiRunOnce in WINNT.SIF)

The "runonce.cmd" is in $OEM$, alongside cmdlines.txt, and I copied the way nuhi obtains his CD/DVD-drive letter, so my runonce.cmd looks like this:

@echo off
cmdow @ /hid
for /f "tokens=3" %%i IN ('reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v "SourcePath" ^| findstr "REG_SZ"') do set SOURCE=%%i
REG IMPORT %SOURCE%$OEM$\$$\2009.REG

SET RDR=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD %RDR% /V TITLE /D "Installing Software" /f
REG ADD %RDR%\001 /VE /D "Last Minutes.." /f
REG ADD %RDR%\001 /V 1 /D "%SOURCE%$OEM$\msxml6-KB954459-enu-amd64.exe /passive /qn /norestart" /f

REG ADD %RDR%\005 /VE /D "Installing ERUNT" /f
REG ADD %RDR%\005 /V 1 /D "%SOURCE%$OEM$\erunt-setup.exe /verysilent" /f

REG ADD %RDR%\010 /VE /D "Inserting PSPad" /f
REG ADD %RDR%\010 /V 1 /D "%SOURCE%$OEM$\pspad453inst_en.exe /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /TASK=\"multiuser,txt\"" /f

REG ADD %RDR%\030 /VE /D "Cleaning Up" /f
REG ADD %RDR%\030 /V 1 /D "%WinDir%\ending.cmd" /f

REG ADD %RDR%\035 /V 1 /D "COPY %SOURCE%$OEM$\PSPad.INI \"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\PSPad editor\\" /Y /Z" /f
REG ADD %RDR%\036 /V 1 /D "COPY %SOURCE%$OEM$\PSPad_MU.ini \"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\PSPad editor\\" /Y /Z" /f
EXIT

This is just some example code. It ends up adding nothing in the place of %SOURCE% in the RunOnceEx reg-key, and this is really weird.

The strange thing is that running ending.cmd (as it then is one of the RunOnceEx entries in reg) *does* yield the correct source of the install, using;

FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%I:\WIN51AP.SP2 (SET SOURCE=%%I:& GOTO DONECD)
:DONECD

which is in the top of ending.cmd...

So when I move all the installers etc. from runonce.cmd to ending.cmd as a simple batch-file, they will work just fine!

Any idea what I'm missing here?

I haven't tried using

SetLocal enableextensions
SET CDISO=%~d0

EndLocal

in runonce.cmd yet, maybe that'll work..

OK, it is probably as simple as keeping nlite.cmd in there, and running this from RunOnce.cmd;

TimeOut /T 40
CMD /R my-batch-file-with-all-I-want-to-do.bat

I'll try that first.

By the way, which reminds me, what does your cmdlines.txt look like under $OEM$ ?

Edited by meowing

Meowing:

My best guess is some sort of sequencing problem, maybe related to the reason why using ProgramAddons is problematic (failure to register file associations being the most obvious symptom). The replies I got when querying that strange behaviour suggested that it is due to the registry not being fully formed prior to the final reboot.

\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt

[Commands]
"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"

\AMD64\NLITE.CM_

TimeOut /T 40
for /f "tokens=3" %%i IN ('reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v "SourcePath" ^| findstr "REG_SZ"') do set SOURCE=%%i
CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat
"%windir%\daemon\dt410x64.exe"
EXIT

The "%windir%\daemon\dt410x64.exe" bit is from JohnDoe74's 2-part Daemon Tools installer, but I have to put it before Spybot: S&D in the batch file.

So, if the registry isn't yet fully built up at cmdlines.txt execution stage, it is probably best and safest to only put

CMD /R some.bat

in cmdlines.txt, and then put this in some.bat:

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\010 /VE /D "Building and Cleaning" /f

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\010 /V 1 /D "%WinDir%\ending.cmd" /f

and put all the rest, including accessing the source image, in that ending.cmd, which can delete itself at the end of its own execution, when you put these in at the end of it;

ATTRIB -R -A -S -H %WinDir%\ending.cmd >NUL

DEL /F /Q %WinDir%\ending.cmd >NUL

I've always really liked the idea of batch-files killing themselves ;-)

By the way, I find that using a ping delay is more graceful than using timeout. Timeout echoes to the user, ping doesn't. I often use

PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 1 >NUL

where -n is the multiplier of -w in milliseconds. So

PING 1.1.1.1 -n 4 -w 5000 >NUL

delays the batch for ( 4 x 5000 ms =) 20 seconds.

Edited by meowing

anthonyaudi, he means you can install it out of the RunOnce exit of nLite. If you will look at the top of page 1, at Kurt_Aust's Run1_XP-64.bat you will see how he installs many different programs. The Malicious Removal Tool can be installed the same way using the /Q switch. Enjoy, John.

February updates

Deletions:

Hotfix\670-IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB958215-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\680-IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB960714-x64-ENU.exe

RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB956391-x64-ENU.exe

Additions:

@ . . . Hotfix\700-IMAPI_SRV2003_x64.exe [2,370,504] Optional, Blu-Ray image mastering support

# Hotfix\710-IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB961260-x64-ENU.exe [37,213,048]

@ . . . RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB960715-x64-ENU.exe [673,144]

Meowing:

I prefer giving the user feedback as to how the installation is progressing, hence you will see that I use /Passive rather than /Quiet and /Silent rather than /VerySilent. It saves them from wondering if the process has hung.

Anthonyaudi:

As Johnhc noted you can add the MSRT to Run1_XP-64.bat, I don't include it for 2 reasons:

1. There's no point checking your system until you've installed all your applications &

2. Not including it allows you to check that Windows Update is working correctly.

EDIT:

I've uploaded Radix's fixed script for Deamon Tools lite v4303 to the eSnips page, just place it at \AddOns without renaming if you want to use the latest version.

Edited by Kurt_Aust