HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

TweakUI for x64

What's the difference between this one and the .msi file from Neosmart ?

Apparently absolutely nothing, the base executable is exactly the same. The only difference is in the packaging, the one in my guide is the original digitally signed Microsoft installer. It's also smaller (161 v 673KB) meaning I can attach it within the 200KB limit. However, the digital signature does make Neosmart's claim a bit dubious:

TweakUI 64-Bit Edition is a non-profit NeoSmart Technologies' project currently written and maintained by Mahmoud H. Al-Qudsi.

The only thing that doesn't work under a 32-bit environment is slipstreaming service pack 2, hence:

Special note for users of 32-bit operating systems: You cannot slipstream Service Pack 2 as is due to it being a 64-bit executable, instead you must extract it with 7-zip or WinRAR. Next download from my eSnips page the Update.7z archive and extract the contained files (from the 32-bit version of Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2003) into the \AMD64\Update folder of the extracted service pack replacing the existing files. Finally under nLite when integrating the Service Pack you need to navigate to the AMD64\Update folder, you will get a warning about being unable to integrate, just ignore it.

Kurt_Aust, this looks really great for the guys moving from 32 to 64 bits. Thanks. I have a few of questions. I assume the 64 bit SP2 is extracted into the AMD64\Update folder? Should the .exe or the .msi be selected - I assume the .exe? What is the failure to integrate error? I assume you know you can create a log by specifying /log:path switch on the integration of the SP. Thanks much, John.

I figured I'd have to rewrite that section for greater clarity, so here goes:

Special note for users of 32-bit operating systems. You cannot slipstream Service Pack 2 as is (due to it being a 64-bit executable), instead you must do the following:

A) First check that the files in your nLite working directory do NOT have their Read-Only attribute set, if so clear it.

B} Extract WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe with 7-zip or WinRAR.

C) Download from my eSnips page the Update.7z archive (contains files from the 32-bit version of Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2003).

D) Extract Update.7z into the \AMD64\Update folder of the extracted x64 Service Pack 2, replacing the existing files.

E) nLite will warn that you cannot integrate 64-bit service packs from within a 32-bit enviroment, proceed anyway (just say no).

F) Finally when integrating the Service Pack you need to navigate to the AMD64\Update folder and select the Update.exe file.

And of course over at PlanetAMD64, there are pictures, the error & select update, as one can see the screenshots are very different. I tested the build method on an early Pentium4 (1.5 GHz, PC133 RAM) running Windows 2000.

Kurt_Aust, thanks. In Step B, why not say extract into AMD64\Update folder? BTW, it has a { instead of a ( like the rest. Why does this need to be done in the source folder? Are the files needed after the SP is installed? I assume the extracted SP2 is very large. I can't see the error messages since I don't have a sign-on for PlanetAMD64. Thanks, John.

\AMD64\Update exists in the extracted SP2, you can't extract it into itself.

It has } rather than ), because if I use ) I get B).

It doesn't need and should NOT be done in the source folder.

After SP2 is integrated you no longer need the extracted files.

451MB extracted vs 350MB for original executable.

.Net framework 2.0 SP2 standalone has been released, main post & batch file updated to support.

If you only want/need .Net 2.0 SP2 & update

% NetFx20SP2_x64.exe [48,524,296]

MD5: AD55AD64B69FED73807429859291DB8C

SHA-1: A7CC6C6E5A4AD9CDF3DF16A7D277EB09FEC429B7

% NDP20SP2-KB958481-x64.exe [19,282,272]

MD5: 37CD8D927566FCABF4DFFCBBE63D16EF

SHA-1: 1392380EF7BAABD531F35EE5799C255A03B0DCBE

Advance notice, I will be out of contact and the tracker will be down from 24 Jan to 2 Feb inclusive, I'm trading in the 38C of Sydney for the -15C of Harbin.

TranceEnergy, thanks, I am glad to see MS finally post the real RC1. I tried doing a direct integrate and it failed. It also failed to generate a requested log file, but gave me a list of switches, which did not contain the /integrate switch. Thanks, John.

Well it's a complete failure. Seeing as how windows update website fails to load. One might be able to fix some settings to make it work, but if it doesnt work right out of the box = fail. I'm sorry to see it doesnt directly integrate.

I am just crossing fingers hoping nuhi will be there when the final arrives to make sure the integration works fine. If it isnt a direct fault by MS which wouldnt suprise any of us regardless. So iow= got to go back to beta 2. Mind you this is one my currently very tweaked/bloat free setup. So it could be a service or something needed, except the usual.

Edited by TranceEnergy