HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

SandboxIE is an application container, it is NOT a virtual machine.

If one skips step 9 (copy RunOnce / AddOns), then it will fit on a CD, but you'll be missing the latest versions of DirectX & .Net (might also have to leave off video drivers).

We've pretty much all gone to DVD as it would be extremely rare to find a computer with an x64 processor (2005+) that could only read CDs.

Kurt_Aust, I tried an install with ProfilesDir set to my D: partition. When your bat ran, the setting of the Windows Update short cut failed. How about using:

%allusersprofile%

Thanks, John.

It already does

rem fix Windows Update shortcut
If Not exist "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Microsoft Update.lnk" Copy %Source%WinUp.lnk "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Update.lnk"

I take it D: is recognised by textmode setup and is already formatted prior to install.

Oops! Sorry about that, Kurt_Aust, I should have looked before I posted. I have made so many changes to your original bat that I tend not to look at your current one. My D: was defined and formatted before my install. I don't think I will keep it that way, it was just an experiment. Thanks, John.

Hello

I installed XP x64 with the help of nLite as I did before but for some reason, this time only hotfixes have been installed correctly, drivers, directx, flash player, 7zip, kazaa lite,... none has been installed automatically... could you guess what ive done badly this time?

TY

see cfg attached :

freshhh.ini

freshhh, why do you have 680 IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB960714-x64-ENU.exe first instead of last in your hot fix list? If you run Kurt_Aust's batch file, it will arrange the hot fixes in the proper order. You should move it to the bottom. It's hard to believe this is your problem, however. Have you run nLite more than once against the same source? Enjoy, John.

about 680 IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB960714-x64-ENU.exe

i've no idea why it is listed at the top of the list, i didn't make that on purpose, all have been added at the same time and i correctly put the number at the beginning so all updates are done in the order... (well at least i thought it was that way)

i didnt run nlite more than once on the same source (anyway if u want to do that there is an alarm)

the only thing a bit unusual i've do is to slipstream wmp11 in the iso at first with the slipstream tool and not via nLite... and then i've used nLite with the modified iso...

still dont understand why nothing except hotfixes have been autoupdated...

is the section bellow correct?

[GuiRunOnce]

TimeOut /T 40

CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat

not edited, i left the original unmodified...

Edited by freshhh

freshhh, I know of no alarm that keeps one from running nLite multiple times on the same source. You can place your WMP11 in as a hot fix and nLite will integrate it for you. I just put it and its updates, in order, in my hot fix section. Please attach your Run1_XP-64.bat, so we can look at it. The RunOnce looks fine, exactly like mine. Do you see the Run1_XP-64.bat run? After the last reboot during setup, RunOnce is executed and you can watch it run. I don't understand the missing drivers. When you run nLite can you see the drivers integrating? Enjoy, John.

about 680 IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB960714-x64-ENU.exe

i've no idea why it is listed at the top of the list, i didn't make that on purpose, all have been added at the same time and i correctly put the number at the beginning so all updates are done in the order... (well at least i thought it was that way)

What can happen is that if you Ctrl-click on items, then the last one you clicked on ends up on top of the list, regardless of alphabetical/numerical sorting.

the only thing a bit unusual i've do is to slipstream wmp11 in the iso at first with the slipstream tool and not via nLite... and then i've used nLite with the modified iso...

This is the manner described in the guide, move along, nothing to see here.

still dont understand why nothing except hotfixes have been autoupdated...

is the section bellow correct?

[GuiRunOnce]

TimeOut /T 40

CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat

not edited, i left the original unmodified...

You did copy Run1_XP-64.bat and the RunOnce / AddOns folders into the root of your working directory before making the .iso?

Have you set an Administrator password?

You appear to be running OOBE, if you create accounts at that point and login to one of them (rather than the Administrator account) then Run1_XP-64.bat may not execute (untested guess).

First thanks all for trying to help me, I really appreciate!

Run1_XP-64.bat

I saw it running after the reboot (black dos screen) but i didn't watched carefully to see if all was fine at that time I thought everything was fine so far...

Error(s) listed in event viewer

After the installation, the only little error reported is a webcam driver VX3000 not installed in system32...

(weird that it tried & reported a failed attempt to install this particular driver coz anyway none of others (NVIDIA/Samsung monitor/...) have been correctly installed... only M$ generic)

Ctrl-click

I don't remember clicking on the list but I guess this is the best simple explanation, very dangerous feature btw ;-)

OOBE

The "Out of Body Experience" yeah I wish ;) Hehe well ok OOBE mode is to bypass WGA verification right?

Yes this time I've disabled wga but I'm running in admin mode (no password for now) and no others accounts created...

ISO size

There is another tip to understand what's going wrong...

Before making the iso I made some tests (each time with a fresh source, not modified already) but the weird thing is that everytime the size remained the very same 780MB. No difference if DirectX or Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 were integrated or not...

I was very suspicious about missing something...

Working directory

The runonce dir & Run1_XP-64.bat should be put in nLite root or in the same root than hotfixes?

I put them in the nLite dir... Hotfixes & drivers were in another dir...

Anyway why drivers haven't been added? (I browsed and added them in the nLite driver area like for hotfixes).

Do you guys put your drivers in the runonce dir?

nLite.rar

Edited by freshhh

Kurt_Aust, I am running OOBE (not skipped or removed) and auto login to my defined account and your bat runs fine under that account.

freshhh, It is hard for us to tell what you are doing. Are you running under VMware Server or VirtualBox? I see you have included files for both. I also see you have installed multiple versions of the same same programs (at least .NET and ThunderBird) - why? You are installing an awful lot of stuff. You probably need to pare it down until you are sure it is working and you also need to sit and watch it run and try to see any error messages that pass by quickly. With all the stuff in your bat, it should take a long time, perhaps an hour unless you have a really fast machine. I don't know why your drivers are not there unless they are not the correct drivers for your hardware. If you are running under a virtual system you will not see the drivers in Device Manager because the HW is not there and Windows will not install the drivers without the HW. Your driver files are processed by nLite into the source folder and you can see them in c:\NLDRV folder after installing (unless you selected to delete after install in nLite). The original driver files as well as the original hot fix files are not carried to the ISO. Hope this helps, John.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't it save you a LOT of time and trouble if you'd just offer an entirely up-to-date iso of Windows XP x64 Edition SP2 today, and then let people use nlite to strip that iso for their personal preferences?

I for example will remove (not need) IE and OE, nor will I need Windows Defender or many of those installs. Using these batch-files will be obsolete for the most part.

meowing:

First of, please dont ask Kurt or anyone else to share windows xp x64 iso or such online. That would be piracy, and is knocked back on pretty hard on such a forum.

No one is forcing your hand to install any software, if you dont have the software on the install media, it wont get installed regardless. Think of Kurt's batches as a how-to do it on your own.

A bit more gratitude instead of complaint would serve you better i'm sure.

January update:

Delete

Hotfix\570-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB957095-x64-ENU.exe

Add

@ Hotfix\690-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB958687-x64-ENU.exe [1,237,880]

After the excitement of December, rather a boring month, on the other hand I've added more supported applications (and notes to others):

Mihov Image Resizer

nLite

WMP11 Slipstreamer

AutoIt

ImgBurn

Virtual Box (v2.1.0 can result in NDIS.sys BSOD in combination with other programs, v2.0.6 here)

Daemon Tools Using JohnDoe74's Addon (v4303r needs a fix, only use if last updated Jan 15 or later)

Meowing:

As Trance pointed out, I can't for legal reasons link to a fully updated XP x64 .iso, of course if that is what you want you can search any number of torent sites, but can you trust what you download?

Even if if were not frowned upon, I'd then have to deal with any number of special requests (I want it IE7 but not WMP11 / I want it with WMP11 but not IE7 / I want IE8 beta 2 / etc.).

I fully expect that most of the executables mentioned in the batch files will not be installed on any one particular computer, for instance I've included support for Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey & Opera in the alternate browsers section. Realistically only a web developer would need to install all of them.

The point being is that they are supported, if you don't want them then don't place them in \AddOns and the batch file will skip over them.