HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

Could you comment on WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB954600-x64-ENU.exe ?

WMP 6.4 is part of the default installation, hence the update is viewed as required. I suspect it is there mainly for compatibility reasons, although it's possible that other components call upon it in a manner invisible to the user.

Side note: WMP 6.4 is also the basis for the popular Media Player Classic.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

Well they've been busy in the week leading up to Christmas over at the Redmond campus, since patch Tuesday the following updates have become available.

At \Hotfix (critical zero day Internet Explorer remote code execution exploit fix):

# 680-IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB960714-x64-ENU.exe [8,686,968]

At \RunOnce (.Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 2 wannabe):

% NDP20SP2-KB958481-x64.exe [19,282,272]

MD5: 37CD8D927566FCABF4DFFCBBE63D16EF

SHA1: 1392380EF7BAABD531F35EE5799C255A03B0DCBE

% NDP30SP2-KB958483-x64.exe [17,262,944]

MD5: 6B08400F889D7004E705363530C83E32

SHA1: 84062CF4C3F303F3641E3F730F60FDEA51BC776F

% NDP35SP1-KB958484-x64.exe [1,472,352]

MD5: 94E97AC8F788252BFF2704859CB5C737

SHA1: E69006433C1006C53DA651914DC8162BBDD80D41

So apart from putting out a real .Net 3.5 sp2 (and for goodness sake, drop Itanium support from the package, anyone who has one should know enough to download a separate package) they also need to put out service pack 1 for:

IE7 (installer=28.2MB, patches=45.1MB) &

WMP11 (16 patches according to Boooggy's list).

• 2 weeks later...

.Net integration is something of a holy grail, OnePiece has apparently been able to get it to work with .Net 1.1 sp1 for XP (32-bit) and 2000, but nobody has been able to do the same for .Net 2.0 or later.

There are AddOns that install .Net 2.0 from SVCPACK at T-13, but unfortunately that won't make the install significantly faster or the ISO significantly smaller.

.Net 3.0 + still has to be installed after first boot.

how to bypass the popup "File is newer than the one integrating" and answer yes by default at "Do you want to keep the newer file" ?

so bad that there isn't something like a "Yes to all" button option...

i choose gui mode (not full auto) since i dont want to make a full silent install and add my name,...

btw how comes so many files are newer on the iso than on the patches?

ty

Edited by freshhh

direct integration for patches bellow is not supported, do i have to force it and use the regular integration method for those hotfixes ?

are they still needed ?

190-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB936021-x64-ENU.exe

195-msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe

200-msxml6-KB933579-enu-amd64.exe

450-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB953839-x64-ENU.exe

480-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB946648-x64-ENU.exe

Please attach your "Last Session.ini" as all those hotfixes should integrate. Were you running nLite as an administrator?

EDIT: Looking back at the hotfix list, all those hotfixes except 480- are obsolete.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

freshhh, I never get any of these messages, so no need to answer 'yes' always. All your listed hot fixes except 480 are no longer in Kurt_Aust's list. Please see the first page for an accurate list of the updates. Enjoy, John.

thank you both for your quick reply!

yes i'm running xLite as an admin (latest build but anyway, same case before with others builds)

well the truth is that i don't use regular sp1 or sp2 build but an already more recent one own made with nLite... so i guess this is why i've many popups... ;-) but i'd like to know if there is a workaround to accept all more recent files by default please?

i dunno if there is any advantages to use a more recent iso than the sp2 but i thought it should even be better (less operations/lighter) ;-)

yes i noticed all those hotfixes are not in the list but still wonder why coz it was there before and listed at windowsupdate.com , in my theory maybe more recent hotfixes do the same things , well i'll remove them from my dir...

what about 480 ? why is this hotfix listed if it cant be auto added, should i use the regular integration method to integrate it ?

last but not least... i'm using Sandboxie x64 (not anymore supported) and i know i should not install the following fix :

160 WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB932596-x64-ENU.exe because of conflict with new Kernel Patch Protection...

but Microsoft has made another hotfix recently that causes also trouble with Sandboxie (BSOD) do u guys know what fix it is?

btw any alternative to Sandboxie that is not too big (like WMware) ? i heard of Shadow Defender but this is only available for x32 :-/

best regards

freshhh

Edited by freshhh

freshhh, you cannot start with an ISO. You must start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please spend some time looking through the forum and you will see that many people violate these principles and have bizarre results. After you start over, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini if you still have problems. I have never heard of Sandboxie, but if it is a virtual system (WMware? -> VMware), then you can use VMware Server (free, but installer is almost 600 MB) and what I use with all Kurt_Aust's updates. I understand VirtualBox (free) also supports x64, but have not tried it.

weird because i did that before everytime (using custom iso extracted) and had no issue at all (the only thing is that during the process it tells more often that newer file is already on the iso) but after my os is perfectly stable !

i know about virtualbox / wmware but this is huge and not friendly enough for a basical use so i hope there is an alternative...

Edited by freshhh

freshhh, you were lucky starting with an ISO and I suspect you would have run into more problems as time goes on. I tried QEMU and it worked (mostly) but was slow and did not have an accelerator for x64. It took me 1.5 hours to do an install and VMware Server takes less than 15 minutes. It is fairly easy to use as proved by my use. Enjoy, John.

Just grab the VMware 1.0.8 release, at 146MB it's 1/4 the size of the 2.0 release. If going for VirtualBox, grab the 2.0.6 release, the 2.1.0 release can cause BSOD's in combination with other programs.

My best guess is that 560-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB956841-x64-ENU.exe replaced KB932596, but this is only based on the similar size of the hotfixes. As KB932596 did not have an accompanying security bulletin, Microsoft does not list which hotfix replaced it.

well i guess i'll try to make some room for WMware again... ;) but so sad there isn't currently a light alternative like Sandboxie for x64...

about space... i made a new custom XP but the size is now more than a classic 700MB cdrom can handle... is this normal?

i thought removing latest directx would have been enough but i still get the same size no matter if i put directx or not...

(i haven't put .NET Framework either... only all my current drivers)

is this a normal situation, have u all gone to dvd ?