HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

Kurt,

Does it work OK to run nLite on a Vista 64 bit OS to create an ISO for XP x64?

Thanks, John.

In theory it should work OK, but as I don't have a Vista box to test on I can't say for sure. One could also take the apparent complete lack of posts complaining that it doesn't work as evidence that it does.

Kurt,

Does it work OK to run nLite on a Vista 64 bit OS to create an ISO for XP x64?

Thanks, John.

In theory it should work OK, but as I don't have a Vista box to test on I can't say for sure. One could also take the apparent complete lack of posts complaining that it doesn't work as evidence that it does.

Woah, gotta get more sleep, I'm starting to see double.

Thanks, Kurt...I too am seeing double.

TranceEnergy PMed me that it did work for him, but he had to use the fixmbr (fix master boot record) command to get the boot device back. There have been a number of people asking about this in the nLite Forum.

Thanks, John.

September updates

Additions:

@ Hotfix\520-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB938464-x64-ENU.exe [4,394,032]

@ WMP11\WindowsMedia11-KB954154-x64-ENU.exe [744,512]

With the recently revealed vulnerabilities in DNS & BGP I've changed WinUp.lnk's properties from

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\IExplore.exe" update.microsoft.com to

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\IExplore.exe" https://update.microsoft.com

as SSL protects you from man-in-the-middle attacks and if there's ever a site you need to be sure you can trust ...

Application AddOns, added support for:

Shockwave Player plugin You need the "full" version

Silverlight Player plugin

Adobe Reader Lite Liposuctioned version by Shark007, requires 7-Zip

You make a good point, Kurt_Aust. I wasn't aware the Microsoft Update site supported encryption. IE6 throws up a "nonsecure items" warning using https, but I'll probably make the same change in my next pack anyway (most likely October).

Edited by 5eraph

i tried https the other day, didnt work, Now it does work tho.

Second attempt i changed HTTP SSL service from disabled to manual, and access was a bit faster, and now it DOES work. downloading updates in all its glory.

Funny thing is, HTTP SSL service didnt even start. Whether or not this has to do with me having removed certain dll files or not i dont know.

In any case, wooooohooooooooooooo, i can post again =)

:wub: I miss a smiley with a big cag of beer, so that will do i guess.

Kurt, i recently tried installing shockwave player, it came with google toolbar, Shark007 has a version without that, which is freackin awesome,. adobe's versions, both full and slim is with google toolbar (i downloaded firefox version, if there's a difference even, of both)

I also install Adobe air silently now, dont know what the big deal with it really is, but it installs silently just fine ( though i couldnt find the silent install switches anywhere online, except for opening file in notepad)

Edited by TranceEnergy

For those who are interested, a new version (2.0) of Sun VirtualBox was released yesterday that according to the changelog supports 64-bit guests (but only on 64-bit hosts).

However, while XP x64 seemed to install OK, I for one couldn't get the virtual machine additions to work (error opening file).

Fixed [apparently, not tested yet, it's only just been released in the last few mins & it's just finished downloading] in version 2.02.

Download page isn't updated yet, but they haven't blocked directory listing, so you can grab it here:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.0.2/

• 1 month later...

Okay kind of late reply, but first i tried it and it wouldnt even install. I now got the VirtualBox-2.0.2-36488-Win_amd64.msi installed.

However, i can't see the x64 alternative. Not of any windows version. I'll look around, but i find it weird that i couldnt see the option immidiately.