HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

TranceEnergy,

I agree with you about CFP. People have been asking for switches for some time now (years). I am surprised nothing has happened. I did place a request in the Wish-List topic to see if we can get some action on the next release or so.

I have an AMD FX-57, fairly fast but single core. I am doing the nLite and VMware Server work to get ready for an upgrade to a quad core Phenom if AMD will just get busy. I will keep Orthos in mind - thanks.

Sorry, I can't answer your DirectX question - hopefully Kurt can help.

Enjoy, John.

JohnHC:

If you think it's causing you problems, you can drop the ShutDown command, you'll just have to reboot manually. It's really just the equivalent of choosing Restart from the start menu without closing all your applications first. Properly written applications should have no problem with it.

I took a look at that post on the Comodo forums, it looks like a similar method to that used on v2.4. However, I have no intention of getting into repackaging switchless installers for this guide, partly because I don't want to have to say "Trust me".

TranceEnergy:

As I understand it you don't need the x86 aspects of DirectX on Win XP x64. DirectX is an API that interfaces to the x64 graphics & sound drivers, so as x64 systems don't have (and cannot use) x86 drivers, nuff said.

Kurt:

As you say Win XP X64 doesnt need the x86 side of directx, yet it is shipped with it is it not?

But that x64 cant use x86 drivers i know of course. I am just merely curious at this. I am sure that the people releasing these packs know what they are doing, but i would just like to see it confirmed somehow that it is indeed correct.

Kurt,

It was not my intention to suggest you or anyone use the process Buhric identified to create a CFP installer. I was hoping to hear back about the 'plenty' of switches he said were in CFPCONFG.EXE. I ran the switch finder against it and it found no switches. I guess I was also hoping that you had methods to extract switches when you knew the correct module.

Enjoy, John.

TranceEnergy:

DirectX update will install the x86 SDKs on XP x64, but of course only developers would ever use them. Similarly it installs the DirectX 10 SDKs (does the same on Windows 2000), you don't need them, but they do no harm either.

JohnHC:

Sorry to shatter your illusions, but I have no such tricks up my selves. If it's not documented, then all I can do is use trial & error with common switches.

FYI over @ RyanVM there is a updatepack for XP x64 http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6400

I think we know about it.

Slight problems with it tho, it approaches updating only updates, not also IE to 7 (or newest). Whether we like it or not, IE is integral part of windows.

Currently Nlite does a kick a** job of integrating updates individually, so it's more suited to one's system.

If the maker of the update pack would either delete IE6 updates, or start using IE7 updates, it might be the better alternative. As it is now, it aint, imho.

I sent a PM to Buhric on the Comodo forum asking about the 'Plenty more switches' and he responded:

Here's the switches i was able to find out:

-a --> performs a scan

-c --> not sure exactly what it does see -x

-d --> performs an installationg diagnostic

-i --> installs the software

-k --> starts the config wizard

-m --> see -x (I think its to import your settings from a file)

-o --> Show the "Offer" page

-r --> Reboots your pc

-s --> silent switch, when used with -i performs a silent install

-u --> uninstall comodo

-x --> when used without any argument gives out the following error

"Invalid Argument" Please use -c switch to specify valid filename

My guess is that -x is used to export the firewall setting to a file specified by -c, and -m is to import a file specified by -c

Unfortunately, still not very useful. We can only hope the CFP development team will do something.

Enjoy, John.

I've just done a quick test with the switches supplied, the -c, -m & -x switches seem to work as suggested, so you'd be looking at a section like this:

rem firewall
"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z" X %Source%AddOns\CFP_Setup_3.0.25.378_XP_Vista_x64.exe -O%Temp%
%Temp%\CFP_Setup_3.0.25.378_XP_Vista_x64.exe -s
Del %Temp%\CFP_Setup_3.0.25.378_XP_Vista_x64.exe
"%ProgramFiles%\Comodo\Firewall\cfpconfg" -m -c%Source%AddOns\CFPsettings.cfg

Mind you, I'd exercise extreme caution with this.

• 2 weeks later...

I had decided to try to let WPI do the reboot after Kurt_Aust's install procedure completes. I discovered that any of three reboot options I tried did not work. This turned out to be a 64 bit problem. WPI guru, mritter, has been working on making WPI 64 bit compatible the last few days and has sent me a Beta that seems to solve the problems. I was using WPI to do some installs for me and when I added a reboot, it seems to be OK. I have more testing and have never tried a full install. The Windows Personalizations run to completion before WPI starts. Since I started this testing, I removed the shutdowm from Kurt's procedure and have seen no more of the missing Quick Launch folder problem I saw before. I think this is useful because it removes the need to guess at a shutdown delay, or specify a huge delay to avoid problems.

Any comments are more than welcomed.

Enjoy, John.

FYI over @ RyanVM there is a updatepack for XP x64 http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6400

I think we know about it.

Slight problems with it tho, it approaches updating only updates, not also IE to 7 (or newest). Whether we like it or not, IE is integral part of windows.

Currently Nlite does a kick a** job of integrating updates individually, so it's more suited to one's system.

If the maker of the update pack would either delete IE6 updates, or start using IE7 updates, it might be the better alternative. As it is now, it aint, imho.

I don't include IE7 because not everybody wants it. nLite still does a kickass job of integrating it on top of my pack though, even with the two IE6 updates that I include. ;)

I don't mean to steal Kurt's thunder, but my pack was brought up...

You have some great stuff here, Kurt. :)

Edited by 5eraph

JohnHC:

If you're running WPI, that will definitely cause a conflict with the shutdown command at the end of Run1_XP-64.bat. I'm going to assume that WPI is kicked off by GUI RunOnce, which is executed after the shutdown command is issued.

One thing you could try is renaming WPI.hta to R2WPI.hta and add this to line to Run2_XP-64.bat [WPI\R2WPI.hta]. Obviously you'll have to activate the SchTasks line as indicated, be sure to move all security software (esp Comodo) installs after WPI.

5eraph:

No offense taken, if your pack had existed before I wrote this guide, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Similarly when I wrote my guide for W2K, OnePiece's pack didn't exist either. At the time there was no real alternative option.

Kurt,

I've never had any conflict with your procedure and WPI. Before I removed the shutdown in your process, WPI always ran after your reboot and worked fine. Since I removed your reboot, after your process finishes, the 'Personalizations..' run, then WPI comes up and runs fine. The reboot I have at the end of my WPI installs waits for the last one to finish, then starts the reboot. There are no terminated processes and I have not seen the missing Quick Launch folder.

If I haven't mentioned before, I am creating a user account (with Administrator privileges) with nLite and that account is what is running for your process and WPI.

BTW, I am glad you did create this procedure. I especially like that I can install VMware Tools early but also like the flexibility that comes with your hotfix procedure. I really am not too crazy about turning this over to someone else to make the decisions. Thanks again for creating it and your continued support.

Enjoy, John.