HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

April updates:

Deletion

Hotfix\350-IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB944533-x64-ENU.exe

Additions

Hotfix\350-Windows-en-US-KB943729-x64.exe [889,912] This one does not seem to install, fault has been reported

Hotfix\360-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB941693-x64-ENU.exe [8,403,504] Direct link to .exe

Hotfix\370-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB945553-x64-ENU.exe [1,048,112]

Hotfix\380-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB948590-x64-ENU.exe [1,330,224]

Hotfix\390-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB948881-x64-ENU.exe [670,768]

Hotfix\400-IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB947864-x64-ENU.exe [37,178,416] Direct link to .exe

Hi!

Maybe you could help me out on something.

Yesterday I slipstreamed SP2 in my XP x64 install cd with this howto, that went good. Then I made it unattended, that went good to. (tested in VMWare)

Now I'd like to slipstream all other updates. Already downloaded them with the help of the Microsoft Update Catalog, searched all KBnumbers what I found at the Windows Update page. Got 35 essential and 4 optional updates plus WMP11 and IE7.

Gonna try slipstreaming them at some time this weekend.

Now there are 2 updates I can't seem to find. When I first went to the Windows Update/Catalog pages, just after installing windows, I had to install something to be able of opening those webpages, here's some screenshots:

windows_update.JPG

windows_catalog.JPG

Where can I find those 2 and can they be slipstreamed?

Now something else, bit offtopic... Can I change some default settings which are used when the installation is finished?

Like to:

- Change some startmenu settings;

- turn off automatic update;

- disable the tour, which appears after the 1st start when the installation is complete;

- turn off windows security warnings

- turn off the firewall.

Is this possible?

Edited by bartgrefte

Additions:

Hotfix\195-msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe [5,652,328] Optional, Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2

Hotfix\365-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB944338-x64-ENU.exe [3,866,672]

dotNET\vcredist_x64.exe [3,200,960] Optional, Visual C++ 2005 SP1 runtime

It seems that the Windows Update logic is a bit twitchy this month (nothing unusual there), KB944338 should have shown but didn't and KB943729 still shows up even after being installed. I'm still including KB943729 in the list as they'll probably fix it by next month.

Bartgrefte this thread might have the information you seek. From memory all of the default settings you mentioned can indeed be changed with nLite.

Additions:

Hotfix\195-msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe [5,652,328] Optional, Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2

Hotfix\365-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB944338-x64-ENU.exe [3,866,672]

dotNET\vcredist_x64.exe [3,200,960] Optional, Visual C++ 2005 SP1 runtime

It seems that the Windows Update logic is a bit twitchy this month (nothing unusual there), KB944338 should have shown but didn't and KB943729 still shows up even after being installed. I'm still including KB943729 in the list as they'll probably fix it by next month.

Bartgrefte this thread might have the information you seek. From memory all of the default settings you mentioned can indeed be changed with nLite.

Okay, thanks! I'll check that thread.

And what about those 2 updates/patches I mentioned?

By the way, no "email notification" option at the edit-post page?

Edited by bartgrefte

Hmm, something went wrong here I think.

Just let nLite integrate IE7 and a bunch (not all!) of hotfixes. After installing windows says it couldn't load some battery installer thing...

Did I do something wrong?

I'm testing in VMware Workstation ACE Edition 6.0.3 build 80004 on my laptop*.

After rebooting the virtual machine, still the error:

Windows could not load the installer for Battery. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance.

* Toshiba Satellite a100-683, with a T7600 instead of a T2250, 2GB ram instead of 1GB, 200GB 7200rpm drive instead of 120GB 5400rpm

Did some upgrades ;)

Edit:

Never mind. Found this topic

xpmaniac4ever

Mar 11 2006, 10:48 AM

I had the same problem before. Solved by adding

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

to the [unattended] section of my winnt.sif

That solved it :thumbup

Now other problem. IE7 doesn't get installed anymore... Reslipstreaming it.

Edit: What the hell... IE7 still doesn't work. The exe files are not present on the harddrive after installing.

I'll start completely from scratch.

Edit: IE7 works now, when I let nlite slipstream al those hotfixes at once. Works great, now only have to slipstream WMP11+hotfixes/.net/directx/malicious software tool and that new hotfix I mentioned.

Kurt_Aust:

When I'm done slipstreaming those hotfixes from your startpost with Nlite, how do I slipstream the dotnet and directx ? Can't seem to get how that's done...

Don't now if you've noticed, but there's a new update: kb936357, some microcode update for intel cpu based computers. 752kB

Haven't seen that one in startpost. Ehh... 10/23/2007 , not new I gues.

Edited by bartgrefte

* Toshiba Satellite a100-683, with a T7600 instead of a T2250, 2GB ram instead of 1GB, 200GB 7200rpm drive instead of 120GB 5400rpm

Did some upgrades ;)

Obviously (blows the laptop I run VMWare testing on out of the water).

Never mind. Found this topic

xpmaniac4ever

Mar 11 2006, 10:48 AM

I had the same problem before. Solved by adding

to the [unattended] section of my winnt.sif

That solved it :thumbup

As long as you understand the security implications of turning off device driver signing enforcement (I prefer not to, but then I'm paranoid).

Kurt_Aust:

When I'm done slipstreaming those hotfixes from your startpost with Nlite, how do I slipstream the dotnet and directx ? Can't seem to get how that's done...

The original Microsoft files are not slipstreamable, this guide uses Run1_XP-64.bat to silently install them on first Logon. Some people have repackaged the files so they can be added as AddOns at step 4 of the process (e.g. HJW's posts in this topic), but this guide will be written to use the original files whenever possible.

Don't now if you've noticed, but there's a new update: kb936357, some microcode update for intel cpu based computers. 752kB

Haven't seen that one in startpost. Ehh... 10/23/2007 , not new I gues.

No, I hadn't noticed (my x64 hardware is all AMD), but as it is a hardware item and hence not applicable for all users, it will not be added.

The original Microsoft files are not slipstreamable, this guide uses Run1_XP-64.bat to silently install them on first Logon. Some people have repackaged the files so they can be added as AddOns at step 4 of the process (e.g. HJW's posts in this topic), but this guide will be written to use the original files whenever possible.

Okay, in that case... How do I add the .bat and the directx/.net files to the installation cd? With nlite?

No, I hadn't noticed (my x64 hardware is all AMD), but as it is a hardware item and hence not applicable for all users, it will not be added.

Hmm, okay.

Kurt,

I have been DLing some of the files and ran into a little problem with DirectX. Your Direct link leads to Nov2007 version while the Redistributable link leads to Mar2008. The hashes go with the Mar2008 and the byte count goes with Nov2007. The Mar2008 byte count should be (72,829,472 bytes).

Enjoy, John.

Kurt,

I have run two tests with your procedure using QEMU virtual software. I had a few problems. The most serious was the reboot that came at the end which caught MS busy completing the install. Small dialog windows saying things like customizing IE settings or OE settings were running. Several failed when the reboot hit. The second try, I stuck a rem in front of the shutdown command to make sure it was coming from Run1_XP-64.bat. It fixed the problem but stopped everything. I clicked the x and closed the cmd prompt. The install then completed. I'm not sure what to put in the reboot place but maybe an exit command.

There are new versions of both Java and Flash available and I tried to use both. Flash is the most difficult installer to find. Some time ago, I found an archive file on the Adobe site and I used that. It is 99 MB because it contains all versions 9. I also had trouble finding Java 6u5 so I DLed 6u6. It installed fine and appears in Add/Remove but there is no Java Console or ActiveX in IE7 and no Java Control Center in Control Panel. I then found 6u5, removed 6u6 and installed 6u5 with the same results. Perhaps I have to exercise Java to get the items to be installed/activated.

The QEMU software is very slow, running 4 or 5 times real time.

Thanks for any help/insite you can offer.

John

Edited by johnhc

Kurt,

I have run two tests with your procedure using QEMU virtual software. I had a few problems. The most serious was the reboot that came at the end which caught MS busy completing the install. Small dialog windows saying things like customizing IE settings or OE settings were running. Several failed when the reboot hit. The second try, I stuck a rem in front of the shutdown command to make sure it was coming from Run1_XP-64.bat. It fixed the problem but stopped everything. I clicked the x and closed the cmd prompt. The install then completed. I'm not sure what to put in the reboot place but maybe an exit command.

This is expected behaviour and nothing to worry about. It happens due to the task scheduler starting other processes (in this case account initialization) even though it has received a shutdown command. If and when you next log into the Administrator account, the system will perform/complete account initialization.

There are new versions of both Java and Flash available and I tried to use both. Flash is the most difficult installer to find. Some time ago, I found an archive file on the Adobe site and I used that. It is 99 MB because it contains all versions 9. I also had trouble finding Java 6u5 so I DLed 6u6. It installed fine and appears in Add/Remove but there is no Java Console or ActiveX in IE7 and no Java Control Center in Control Panel. I then found 6u5, removed 6u6 and installed 6u5 with the same results. Perhaps I have to exercise Java to get the items to be installed/activated.

The QEMU software is very slow, running 4 or 5 times real time.

Thanks for any help/incite you can offer.

John

As it is a 32 bit virtual environment, the Java control panel doesn't show up in the normal Control Panel, you have to double click "View x86 Control Panel Icons" (found in the normal Control Panel).

You should (as a general rule) always try to use the latest version of any software as security bug fixes are the most common reason for updated releases. When uploading the config file, I write Run1_XP-64.bat to support the latest versions available, this should not be taken as a requirement to use that version if a newer one has come out. Rather you should rewrite Run1_XP-64.bat to support the updated version (or if lazy, rename the updated installer). The only proviso is that I won't have tested the updated software.

As noted in your other post, try VMWare server if you find QEMU too slow.

For those who would like them, here's my Winnt.sif and Install.cmd for .NET Framework + malicious software installer. Works like a charm :D

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

FileSystem=*

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=110

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

FullName="Raven"

OrgName=""

ComputerName=computername

[Display]

Xresolution=800

YResolution=600

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=MSHOME

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\Install\Install.cmd

@ECHO OFF

TITLE Installing remaining updates

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\DVD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

ECHO Installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

start /wait %cdrom%\Remaining_updates\dotnetfx35.exe /Passive /NoRestart

ECHO Done!

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)

start /wait %cdrom%\Remaining_updates\AMD64-all-windows-kb890830-x64-v1.40_f3040cca9eabee9eeb6acef6c8788880465b2fbe.exe /Q

start /wait %cdrom%\Remaining_updates\AMD64-all-windows-kb890830-x64-v1.40-delta_60462b1f511cee2a03bda406921b7005333c5819.exe /Q

ECHO Done!

EXIT

Going to add DirectX, if necessary, and maybe Office 2007 at a later time.

Edit: The reboot command in the cmd doesn't work when running the cmd using GuiRunOnce. so i've removed it.

Now there's only one update to worry about:

350-Windows-en-US-KB943729-x64.exe [889,912] Optional, Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions (still shows on Widows Update, fault has been reported)

When will this be fixed?

Edited by bartgrefte

Kurt, thanks much for your reply. I can always count on you!

I was running on my account created by nLite and don't expect to logon again to the Administrator account. After the reboot the account installation seem to complete. I was worried about the killed processes.

As it is a 32 bit virtual environment, the Java control panel doesn't show up in the normal Control Panel, you have to double click "View x86 Control Panel Icons" (found in the normal Control Panel).

I don't know what you mean by this. I did look at "View x86 Control Panel Icons" and there was only an accessibility option.

Thanks also for your comment on VMware Server. I looked at it and asked on these forums and got no response as to applicability. I found a WPI thread that mentioned VMware, so I sneaked in a question about VMware Server and was told by two people that was not useful. See here. Have you used VMware Server? - comments.

Google tells me Australia time is UTC+8 to +10.5. What time zone are you in? I am in US Central UTC-6 but UTC-5 now due to savings time.

I don't see but a few updates in Add/Remove even though I nLited 35. Is this normal? What if I wanted to remove one?

Thanks again.

Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

Java control panel shows up fine for me and the Java virtual machine works as Azureus works.

As you can see from the screenshot I use VMWare server for testing. Not perfect perhaps, but one is prepared to go without some niceties in order to save $180+.

I'm at GMT+10 (Australian eastern seaboard), at least 85% of our population will fall in this time zone.

Most updates will not show in add/remove programs as they are directly integrated into the CD, replacing existing files. If you take a look the \Hotfix directory is 193MB, but your .ISO only grows by about 20MB and I'm afraid it's not the TARDIS.

The only hotfixes available for removal will be those that don't integrate (found at \AMD64\SVCPACK) and those installed by Run1_XP-64.bat, mind you almost all the others will be security updates and hence you really wouldn't want to remove them.

Bartgrefte: Buggered if I know when the issue with KB943729 will be fixed. I called MS technical support about it and a few other issues with this month's Windows Update service but just got the company line. All I can say for sure is that the problem has nothing to do with nLite as if I run the installer manually after installation has completed, it still shows up on Windows Update.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

Thanks again, Kurt.

I have DLed the documentation for VMware Server and will probably give it a try. Right now I am on my old 32 bit machine to do some necessary maintenance.

So far, I see one worrisome thing about VMware Server. The manual lists only Server 2003 systems for Windows hosts. I know XP x64 is based on Server 2003 and your screen shot looks like XP to me. I hope you are running XP x64 - true? Does your CPU have vitalization support? I have an AMD FX-57, fast for its time (2.88 GHz) but no vitalization support. It takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to install Windows XP x64 via QEMU. The difference is dependent on how much I do on my machine while the install is running. My machine is almost useless during install unless I reduce the priority of the virtual machine.

Do you run IIS? It is needed for VMware Management Interface - run this?

Did you look at the forum comments about not running VMware Server - comments?

I see you are running 1.0.4. Version 1.0.5 is available as is 2.0 Beta. Bad idea to try the beta?

I noticed your guest clock was at 5:36 and your host clock at 5:41. When I see this it is because my guest is very busy or hung.

I agree I probably will not ever need to remove the updates but was curious.

I see that you have Quick Time installed. I had trouble with it when I first brought up my 64 bit system and Apple does not seem to make a version for x64. Is this really Quick Time Alternative?

I installed 186 MB of updates and the image increased about 10-12 MB (as best I can remember). I left out two updates, one being KB943729, because I don't use groups.

I will run some test with Java. I have already tried using the installer directly, both 6u5 and 6u6, with the same result. Do you think I need to exercise them to get the Control Panel and IE items to show? I have no guest Internet connection (have not tried to do this via QEMU).

I have watched Dr Who a few times and I assume that is where the reference to TARDIS comes from. Interesting show but it never hooked me and it is a little late for me here.

Thanks again.

Enjoy, John.

Yes I'm running XP x64 (as listed under my name to the right). As for CPU support, it won't host XP x64 on my desktop (Athlon 64 3200+ Skt 754), but will on my laptop (Turion 64 ML-34), this tool should help.

I don't believe IIS is necessary (at least not for a local host, which is all I've ever used).

I took a look at the comments and as I noted elsewhere one really should only virtualize XP x64 for testing purposes. It's simply too painfully slow to actually use, W2K & 98se are about the limit for a usable virtual machine (at least on my equipment).

Inertia goes a long way to explain why I'm still on version 1.0.4, I know of no particular reason not to use the beta. In VMWare server, the guest's clock always falls behind.

QuickTime Alternative light (as Media Player classic is already included in the K-Lite mega codec pack).

I don't know why the Java control panel wouldn't show (since it does for me), but running a Java app as a test can't hurt.