WPKG

patchworks

...for Windows !!!

It can be used to push/pull software packages, such as Service Packs, hotfixes, or program installations from a central server (for example, Samba or Active Directory) to a number of workstations.

It can run as a service to install software in the background, without user interaction.

It can install MSI, InstallShield, PackagefortheWeb etc. packages, and all other packages using repackaging or some batch scripting.

overview

WPKG can add great value to your Samba or Active Directory setup, as it allows to perform software installation, updates, removal etc. on your workstations.

It is also possible to execute custom scripts on your workstations, like synchronizing time, setting printers, changing permissions or adding registry entries (basically, some of the things you would do with Active Directory and Group Policy / GPO).

This is a list that summarizes what WPKG can do for you:

• fully automated software deployment solution for Windows
  • deploy software in any format - MSI, EXE, etc.
  • deploy software to different groups of computers or single workstations
  • easily install, upgrade or remove software
  • a "pull" psexec equivalent
  • run custom scripts to set printers, synchronize time, manipulate permissions, add registry entries, change Windows settings etc.
  • management/administration of end-user workstations
  • WPKG works in a domain, in a workgroup, or even over internet or VPN (no domain controller needed)
  • WPKG works with Linux (Samba), Windows servers, or any other systems supporting Windows Network Neighbourhood
  • WPKG works with Windows 2000, XP Pro/Home and 2003 clients, but also 9x and Me (selected functions only)
  • extremely small footprint on the client
  • extremely small footprint on the server
  • keep inventory of software installed on your Windows workstations
  • intuitive web interface

Official website

SF project page

GPLd, of course. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My guess is patchworks doesn't know jack about this stuff, that's why you get no reply from him, that's why, as far as i've heard, he's been going with the "open sourcing windows 9x" thing for three years and still nothing. Sorry.

I'm just an hunter/stimulator, not a developer. :whistle:

So no, i don't use WPKG nor GUw. :no:

But I always try to share may knowledge, hoping that could be useful for someone.

Last but not least, keep in mind that I AM an open source plague spreader :ph34r:

Edited by patchworks

I'm just an hunter/stimulator, not a developer. :whistle:

So no, i don't use WPKG nor GUw. :no:

But I always try to share may knowledge, hoping that could be useful for someone.

Last but not least, keep in mind that I AM an open source plague spreader :ph34r:

I know about the plague spreading thing, i experienced it since i came to this forum. :lol:

Of course it's always good to share knowledge, but it's even better to have a word to say about it yourself. This is why you should stick to "i-tried-it-works-you-should-try-too" principle. Because no one will care about untested software, open-source or not. We need something that works.

And even if it works, not many people will try. See the "win9x dev team" topic, i got them a domain for the project but nobody seems to care about managing it. So essentially the whole project is just a chat about "what we would do if..." stuff. I went one step further and gave them a domain with some pretty neat features. And suddenly everyone backed out. That about explains the level of seriousness they put into this project.