Error 0x8007007e installing SP1 BETA 1

PARTYBOY-XP

i just got it too. The best thing we can do is attach our presets (last_session.ini) and then the members where the sp1 did install for them to upload their presets to so we can easily narrow it down to what the problem is...

Edited by legolash2o

There's definitely a problem with vLite deleting something that Vista SP1 needs. It's a shame that Microsoft only gives a you meaningless error number.

Doing a search for Error 0x8007007e indicates that the problem may be with "MSXML 3.0 assembly files (msxml3.dll and msxml3r.dll)". and recommends downloading an re-installing a package called "msxml3usa.msi". Unfortunately, all the download links I can find for this all point to a Microsoft page that no longer exists.

i did, but it doesnt help :/

I had a feeling it might not help. The only information i can find about Error 0x8007007e is related to Windows XP. It's pretty ridiculous that a product (Windows) that has been around for over 20 years still won't give you an error message that actually tells you what's wrong.

why get pushy with those files

i wasnt being pushy it was just a question asking if he has tried overwriting them hence the '?' at the end, nothing like try overwriting them now! lol cos that would of been pushy. I would of tried it myself but i dont have the 2 files but i didnt intend for it to seem pushy :)

it's obvious not the reason for this problem

Process of elimination, so we can at least say its been tried. The files already there could of been corrupted or just had a problem with them, so replacing them with a sorta 'original' files might of fixed it. Don't know if that makes sense lol

It's something removed I presume.

hmm, has anyone actually tried to manually install with a non-vlited vista? Sounds silly but again... process of elimination. :) You don't want to do lots of hard working trying to find the problem when its the Service Pack itself.

Edited by legolash2o

It's something removed I presume.

hmm, has anyone actually tried to manually install with a non-vlited vista? Sounds silly but again... process of elimination. :) You don't want to do lots of hard working trying to find the problem when its the Service Pack itself.

Yes. I tried installing the latest SP1 beta on a non-vLited copy of Vista and it installed fine, so the problem is defintiely with vLite removing something that SP1 needs. Which is pretty wierd if you think about it -- a vLited copy of Vista works fine, so the SP1 installer is depending on something that Vista itself doesn't really need.

I also had the same problem with 2 previous SP1 betas (builds 16633 and 16549) -- except they gave me different error numbers when I tried to install them on a vLited copy of Vista.

Things you need to keep

0x8007007e

System Restore

0x8007C1

Volume Shadow Copy

0x800F0826

Unknown :unsure:

0x80070005

Windows firewall

Internet Connection Sharing

Conclusion

You need to keep...

System: System Restore

Service: Volume Shadow Copy (Needed for System Restore to work)

Networking: Windows Firewall

Service: Internet Connection Sharing (Needed for Windows Firewall to work)

There are other components which you need to keep, still finding them...

Edited by legolash2o