standby mode = S3?

graysky

When you force your XP machine to enter standby mode, is this causing the processor to enter S3 state? I also noticed that standby shuts down the hardrives as well as system fans. Is there an option to keep the drives/fans spinning?

When you force your XP machine to enter standby mode, is this causing the processor to enter S3 state? I also noticed that standby shuts down the hardrives as well as system fans. Is there an option to keep the drives/fans spinning?

You can set the spindown of the drives in the Power Scheme in Windows. THe state your computer goes into when it goes into standby is determined by the BIOS Setting. We use Intel and MSI boards and their default is S1 but we change them to S3. So see what your BIOS says and if it doesn't say, then only the manufacturer would know.

You can set the spindown of the drives in the Power Scheme in Windows. THe state your computer goes into when it goes into standby is determined by the BIOS Setting. We use Intel and MSI boards and their default is S1 but we change them to S3. So see what your BIOS says and if it doesn't say, then only the manufacturer would know.

Thanks for the reply. I have the drive spin down set to never in the power schemes, and I have S3 enabled in the BIOS. I guess I'd like standby to just idle the CPU and not spin down the drives, but I think this is independent of S0 vs. S3 (the only two options in my BIOS).