Fresh XP Installation Problems

Colonel Sanders

So I've had Vista running on a box for a few months, running just fine. Recently its been giving me problems so I decide to go back to XP. XP install loads drivers, gets to "Setup is starting Windows...", then BSODs with 0x0000007B. A bit of Google-ing points to hard drive, bad driver or boot sector virus.

I tried different RAM, then a new burn of my XP ISO and even tried with all hard drives unplugged, nothing helped. The old OS still boots and loads Vista.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Edited by Colonel Sanders

So I've had Vista running on a box for a few months, running just fine. Recently its been giving me problems so I decide to go back to XP. XP install loads drivers, gets to "Setup is starting Windows...", then BSODs with 0x0000007B. A bit of Google-ing points to hard drive, bad driver or boot sector virus.

I tried different RAM, then a new burn of my XP ISO and even tried with all hard drives unplugged, nothing helped. The old OS still boots and loads Vista.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

well your supposed to reformat i think. then install windows. but you still should be able to dualboot which is what i think your trying to do by not deleting or reformating vista

I'm guessing but you machine likely has a SATA hard disk controller. XP does not have support for many SATA controllers. Check you BIOS and see if there is a setting for the SATA controller that can be set to compatibility mode. It should install then, otherwise you need to find the SATA controller drivers and add them to you install cd.

I am trying to format and delete Vista, I can't get far enough into the install to do that though.

I am trying to install to an IDE hard drive from a Windows XP x64 SP1 disk.

With all the hard drives unplugged, or even an unsupported SATA controller, shouldn't I get something like "No hard drives found" instead of a blue screen?

Edit: I just switched DVD drives, and it now gives a 0x0000006B BSOD at the same point (after "Setup is starting Windows" but before any user input screens).

Edited by Colonel Sanders