WinXP SP2 OEM - Hotfixes Destroy Installation

Swarvey

Ok, started with brand new Windows XP SP2 OEM disk, setup Unattended section, works great. But... Integrating IE7 / hotfixes / WMP11 (even tried individual images with IE7, then with WMP11 integrated by themselves) and durring XP installation (at least on Micro$oft Virtual PC 2007, with a 16Gb virtual drive), installer copies files, reboots, gets to the full colour GUI install, before this fully loads, XPSP2 install returns an error "Not enough virtual memory" and goes into endless reboot loop.

I've tried heaps of different things to sort this out (so there's a lotta "last session.ini"s to go thru, so far the only way I can get the ISO to work properly is to use only unattended section with no hotfixes.

Also, even if I choose "merge" under the extra options, I'm still getting a "$OEM$" folder on the image.

Anyone have any ideas? I'll post again soon after I test the next image, I'm expecting it to fail again, so will post a screen of the VM error and the last session for this ISO.

nLite 1.4 Beta

WMP11Slipstreamer 0.85

ok, here we go, just tested the latest image. (making a custom XP disk to use as a quick-restore disk)

*integrated some chipset and graphics drivers for Gigabyte motherboard

*integrated IE7, WMP11, and a mass of hotfixes

*removed some components

*setup unattended, tweaks and options

This time GUI install failed mentioning the volume had been "unmounted", text mode reported mising .TXT file (no big deal)

post-154833-1190502590_thumb.jpg

post-154833-1190502604_thumb.jpg

Last_Session.ini

I'm having a similar issue to this.

OEM disc, service pack 2c.

I do have a working slipstream with a hotfixes pack from here and the AVG, Firefox and IE7 addons installed.

Since trying to get hotfixes:

KB890830

KB933360

KB937143

KB938127

KB936357

into the mix, I haven't been able to get an ISO that I can install.

I'm able to do the text part of the installation, then when it reboots to the GUI portion of the setup, I get the blue background, mouse cursor and then it reboots and gets stuck in a loop.

I'm going to try and get a working one without the 5 above hotfixes slipstreamed in and include them in a folder on the CD instead, or perhaps use the 'run once' function. If it does, I'll let you know and you can leave those ones out if you're including them.

Edited by seannyc

I'm pretty certain I can get this going too, minus the hotfixes, I'm about to try yet another nLite-ed disk, but only integrate drivers and do the Unattended, will also post regarding this attempt.

This is the first time I've ever had a *major* problem with nLiteing, so I'm also going to try other original sources, and see if it's nLite or the OEM disk

Edited by Swarvey

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I'm not sure what the problem exactly was, but, re-integrating SP2 fixed it.

Everything now integrates and runs fine, both Txt Mode and GUI installations go thru 100%, hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Funny thing is the original was an XP Pro SP2 OEM disk, nevertheless reintegrate and it's problem solved

Edited by Swarvey

I've also got mine working well enough.

I went back to the session that worked, changed the unattended settings to how I want them and it's working.

Not sure what was going on before.

Unfortunately I can't slipstream SP2 back in, because I can't find SP 2c to download from anywhere. 2c is needed for the new line of XP Pro product keys and I think it only comes with the OEM discs.

The version of the XP SP2 Executable I used was originally downloaded probably a year or two ago. Its "product version" is 5.5.1005.0 and the XP SP2 OEM CD is less than a month old. It's product key is still valid and installs fine.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I'm not sure what the problem exactly was, but, re-integrating SP2 fixed it.

Everything now integrates and runs fine, both Txt Mode and GUI installations go thru 100%, hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Funny thing is the original was an XP Pro SP2 OEM disk, nevertheless reintegrate and it's problem solved

Hi. I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM disk that I purchased in December 2006, so it's pretty new, I also have

the same problem, I've lost days, sleepless nights trying to integrate IE7, ocasionally ONCE it did integrate twice

in a row, and never again. In fact re-integrating SP2 does solve the problem. I think this is a big issue that should

be stickyed unless the dev solves the problem, but I think a sticky would be enough. I don't want anyone else to

end in the same I did, not sleeping because I have business in IT, and I really wanted to have a good updated

unattended setup going.

Thanks Swarvey, and please put this information somewhere in the readme/faq or make a sticky of it PLEASE!

Yours sincerely,

Ricardo