Age of Empires II problem.

snwball89

I recently bought AoE II, and everything installed okay, but as soon as I try playing the game it exits and states "Age of Empires II Expansion has stopped working". Windows can not find the proble, and another pop-up comes up, "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). Click OK to terminate the application."

I have tried updated the Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family drivers. Didn't help.

I have tried running the game as Windows 98, 800x600. That didn't help.

I have tried reinstalling the newest directx, that didn't help...

I am running vista home premium and I was wondering (since I know it is compatible), if someone could lead me into the right direction in solving this problem. thankkkkkkks,

I have had similar problems before with some of my games and it usually is easily fixed by running it as an administrator. Under the compatibility tab in properties I check the run as administrator option. That way it will always ask to run as an administrator. Hope this helps

I have had similar problems before with some of my games and it usually is easily fixed by running it as an administrator. Under the compatibility tab in properties I check the run as administrator option. That way it will always ask to run as an administrator. Hope this helps

No... tried that too :/

Event Viewer:

The system file \Windows\System32\dplayx.dll was corrupted, which may have caused the application C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Age2_X1\AGE2_X1.ICD to stop working. Windows was unable to repair this file (error code 0). Run the command "sfc /scannow" at an administrative command prompt to check for errors and to repair the file if necessary.

Name] Microsoft-Windows-CorruptedFileRecovery-Server

[ Guid] {d6f68875-cdf5-43a5-a3e3-53ffd683311c}

EventID 6

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2007-09-23T05:57:08.622Z

EventRecordID 33237

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 1076

[ ThreadID] 2764

- EventData

FileName \Windows\System32\dplayx.dll

AppName C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Age2_X1\AGE2_X1.ICD

ErrorCode 0

Not in order... but, most of the information given to me is listed.

found two things:

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50866

The error cant find dplay.dll can be fixed by exploring the cd then go into setup/directx/dxnt and copy the dplayx.dll to the game folder and rename it to dplay.dll and then put the doom95.exe in compatability mode and then disable the desktop composition it worked like a charm for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242556

Age of Empires II Err Msg: A Required .Dll File, Dplayx.dll, Was Not Found

pls tell me uve alrdy tried updating 2 the latest version of AOE2? On that hardware I know it has a chrashing problem on 1.0 AOE2 but the latest patch fixes the issue.

EDIT: Infact that is the exact error ive seen b4 patching.

Edited by enterman

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, i'm just remembering when i used to play this game on my laptop. it would crash alot due to horrible video drivers. i eventually found some hacked up desktop drivers that worked with my laptop and that fixed the problem.. it was an nvidia card.