Serial Port recognition problem

panathinaikara

i have installed xp sp2 (stripped down installation using Nlite) and i removed some elements and services that caused serial port recognition problem, The Serial Port exists in DEvice Manager with ! under Non-Plug and Play Devices only when i choose show hidden devices. When i see the properties of the Device, it says Stopped.

What are the important drivers, dlls, services etc for making the Serial Port in my Laptop work and be seen by XP?

In bios, there are no settings for enabling or disabling serial port, so i assume the port is on by default and the problem lies in Xp configuration.

Thnx in advance, sorry for my English, not my naitive language

i haven't done anything like that for sure. Bios doesn't have this option.In fact, it has only boot options and Security Settings. So, maybe i need some drivers, software, don't know. That's why i am asking for help. As last resort, i will format the laptop and reinstall windows but i can't do that this month(too much work)

I'm pretty sure I've seen this glitch heaps of times, don't think it's anything related to nLite.

I've seen this on installs from original disks, about one in 5 PC's i've worked on show a device called "Serial" under non PnP devices which has the "!" beside it. Jus like you, I have to tell Device Mangaer to "Show Hidden Devices". All I usually do is right click and remove the device in Device Manager and reboot, the device always seems to load from then on.

Keeping in mind, this device only ever shows as "Serial" and may not be the exact device you are talking about.

If the PC has not picked it back up, try going to your control panel -> Add New Hardware Wizard, see if the computer picks the device back up. If it doesn't then no loss. So long as it doesnt affect the operation of your computer, there should be no harm, best to save resources by not loading un-necessary drivers / services than loading them and not utilising them. On the same note, if you wish to use the archaic RS232 Serial ports, make sure they are enabled in the motherboards BIOS settings.

If the PC has not picked it back up, try going to your control panel -> Add New Hardware Wizard, see if the computer picks the device back up. If it doesn't then no loss. So long as it doesnt affect the operation of your computer, there should be no harm, best to save resources by not loading un-necessary drivers / services than loading them and not utilising them. On the same note, if you wish to use the archaic RS232 Serial ports, make sure they are enabled in the motherboards BIOS settings.

i already mentioned that in Bios Settings there is not an option about Serial Port or anything else about Devices. Only Passwords and Boot-up options.

So i guess there is no way to use the Serial Port rather than reinstalling Windows