Gettin around the admin accounts in xp

D_block

Here's the problem. a guys bringing a pc for me to help him out with, now i have a slight idea of what to do.

He says all the Admin accounts are pword blocked and no one seems to know who did it. so the only of accessing the pc is through a limited user account.

Now if i want to over ride the admin account i remember there was a net user command that could have been used to do it. ( net user administrator * ) something like that. i done know if it will work from a limited user account..

is there any other way to do this and regain proper control on the pc ?

your help is appreciated !!

Just do a repair install of windows, and in gui mode type Shift + F10 and type net user administrator password, to reset the pw to password. I reported this issue to microsoft when xp launched, and i was told since you have to have local access to the box is violates one of those 10 rules of security, so microsoft won't fix the bug.

-gosh

Gosh i was kinna following u there. when do i shift +f10 and use the net user admin stuff > during the install or after it completes and if im doin a repair in gui, wouldnt i be able to change the pword anyway ?

Repair installs and the like sometimes mess up your data. If I were you, I'd use a BartPE disk with password renew on it.

you dont have to finish the install. once the install starts you use the net user command, then reboot and go back into your old install. You might need to change one registry key for sprestart.exe

-gosh

Why so much work? Just remove the admin passwords.

Use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor which is also available as a bootable CD on the UBCD. Freeware.

Typing shift + f10 then net user administrator password, then exit, is a lot of work? Sometimes you don't have internet access and just have a windows cd, it's good to know how to reset any windows password with just an xp cd. I've done it myself many times when i hosed my system and only had an xp cd.

-gosh

Gosh i want to try it your way, i try my best to do things a manual way with out free ware soft ware.

but what i need to know when exactly do you use the f10 +shift command is it when it is installng ? when the tine remaining to completion is present on the screen ?

Gosh i want to try it your way, i try my best to do things a manual way with out free ware soft ware.

but what i need to know when exactly do you use the f10 +shift command is it when it is installng ? when the tine remaining to completion is present on the screen ?

You can do shift +f10 anytime in gui mode once setup starts (after the catalogs are registered). Once done just type taskmgr.exe and end task on setup and the pc will reboot back into your old install, or of course you can let the install finish.

-gosh

Why so much work? Just remove the admin passwords.

Use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor which is also available as a bootable CD on the UBCD. Freeware.

Typing shift + f10 then net user administrator password, then exit, is a lot of work? Sometimes you don't have internet access and just have a windows cd, it's good to know how to reset any windows password with just an xp cd. I've done it myself many times when i hosed my system and only had an xp cd.

-gosh

I must have misread the post... I was understanding that you needed to do a repair install to run that.

Thanks Gosh !

i think i understand what you were saying, i was just installing xp in virtual pc 07 and i tried it the shift F10 command an i saw the command prompt box , so i think i have a better idea of what to do now

but as reguards exiting the command prompt, Do i have to use the taskmgr.exe or can i just type exit to let the installation finish? and do i have to let the installation finsih also ?