S.O.S. Internet Explorer 7.0 soon Required? S.O.S.

legacykeeper

I was sure the internet browsing over a known servers is safe. But, by an accident my computer was infected through a local page. I called the admin (as I know him personaly). He was very surprised and unaware of the page infection. The page was corrected, but the conclusion remained: browsing through the Internet is not as safe as we think.

When I encountered more pages with the same or alike infection system, I decided to change the IE 5.5 to a safer browser, as the JS infection system is too common to keep the IE 5.5 running, any longer.

• 2 weeks later...

WINDOWS 98/ME: S.O.S.!

I knew it was coming, because upgrading Internet Explorer has been required in the past, to maintain Internet access: the Death of Windows 98/ME.

And now, it seems that "The Time Has Come": For the second time, "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close" has been followed by a "Upgrade to IE 7 required" Microsoft web page IE restart, accompanied by a "Sorry IE7 is unavailable for your operating system" message. IS THIS THE LONG DREADED START OF THE 'DEATH THROES' OF WINDOWS 98 + ME??? SAVE OUR SHIP!

After doing a "Internet Explorer 7" MSFN search, it appears no one has undertaken to graft Internet Explorer 7 onto Windows 98 + ME. I hope I'm wrong in sounding this S.O.S., but unless this gets done - AND SOON - Internet access using Windows 98 / ME will be denied on an ever increasing number of websites, sounding the final death knell for Win98/ME.

Yes, the use of a third party browser may be a short term interim fix, but I have found that a third party browser vastly increases total system complexity, greatly decreases system reliability (as Internet Explorer cannot be uninstalled), and thus obviates the advantages of staying with Windows 98 / ME.

Can Internet Explorer 7 be installed somehow, under Windows 98/ME, to keep it alive, without unduly compromising system reliability?

Excuse me, sir, no offense, but you are a moron who obviously made opinions about things you have no clue whatsoever :)

Almost every sentence of your post is wrong or at best uninformed wrong assumption.

What a hilarious post and subject :D

I have been cited a forum rules violation because of above quoted post :(

I guess its because of using a word "moron"?

Lets see:

"Moron"

Main Entry: mo·ron

Pronunciation: 'mor-"än

Function: noun

Etymology: irregular from Greek mOros foolish, stupid

1 usually offensive : a mildly mentally retarded person

2 : a very stupid person

- mo·ron·ic /m&-'rä-nik, mo-/ adjective

- mo·ron·i·cal·ly /-ni-k(&-)lE/ adverb

- mo·ron·ism /'mOr-"ä-"ni-z&m, 'mor-/ noun

- mo·ron·i·ty /m&-'rä-n&-tE, mo-/ noun

Well, although I do not think of legacykeeper as 'mildly retarded' or a 'very stupid person' since I don't know him at all, I do believe his post contained completely foolish and stupid misinformations.

Let me explain to you mister legacykeeper:

Windows 98/ME is 'officially dead' for long time, thus 'officially' you can't 'keep it alive' anymore, sir. Its a zombie at best ;)

Also, even if someone was able to "graft IE7 onto Win 98/ME", it would immediately call for adapting those 50 or so patches related to IE7 as well for Win 98/ME; you wouldn't want to install IE7 and keep your system "updated" with its sleuth of new holes and exploits "grafted onto your system" in the same time, right? SO youre not asking for way(s) of "grafting IE7 onto WIn 98/ME" but youre actually asking for the whole support that Microsoft himself abandoned years ago, if you come to think about it...

Furthermore Windows 98 as it is can work *great* with other browsers (my best example is K-Meleon on 98).

And if you read just this board, you'll find there are ways to get rid of IE from Win 9x...

Thus announcing "death of Win 98/ME" just on a basis of lack of/inability to use latest Microsoft's browser is in my opinion very foolish announcement, if not outright stupid.

And as I pointed out in my earlier reply, and showed you in this extended reply: Almost every sentence of your post is wrong or at best uninformed wrong assumption.

I don't know you, legacykeeper, thus I agree I had no right to generalize in my previous reply, and I apologize for not specifyng that I meant your post - not you as a person - was stupid (in my opinion).

edit:

I quoted theasurus definition of term "moron" because I was surprised to learn it is considered offensive.

In my area this term is a part of common language (ie "don't be a moron" and such) and its more akin to "are you kiddin me" or "quit fooling".

Hence I was surprised to receive PM from board admin citing forum rules violation.

Again: I didn't mean any personal insult, but the merit of legacykeeper's post to which I replied to.

Edited by 888

Look.

just download PORTABLE FIREFOX from portableapplications.com or google it....ok?

no install required....

you dont need ie7 at all...

i have ie 5.5 and i use firefox but have switched to firefox portable....it is very very good and very lightweight.....

Microsoft will be supporting security updates on Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 until at least 13 July 2010 through Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 support.

See the MS Windows 2000 Pro Support Lifecycle page: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071.

If you don't believe me then see the Notes box on the IE6 Support Lifecycle page: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2073

Any webpage that takes you to a MS IE7 download page or says that it "requires" Windows XP or IE7 or whatever is just plain bad scripting and needs correcting!

Any webpage that takes you to a MS IE7 download page or says that it "requires" Windows XP or IE7 or whatever is just plain bad scripting and needs correcting!

and you may want to direct your complaints to the creator of the site that has the "bad" scripts

• 7 months later...
Microsoft will be supporting security updates on Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 until at least 13 July 2010 through Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 support.

See the MS Windows 2000 Pro Support Lifecycle page: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071.

If you don't believe me then see the Notes box on the IE6 Support Lifecycle page: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2073

Don't shoot! - I know this topic is from last year...

I also know I said the above about IE6 support and so on...

But, I have actually found my first web site that will not work correctly on IE6...

Go to Legend Memory's website: http://www.legendmemory.com/

Go to Products menu, then select Downloads, or Certifications, or Technical Support.

You will get the following message and cannot proceed:

You are using a version of Internet Explorer which does not allow iframes within a javascript popup, you can use Mozilla, Firefox or IE 7 to view the content.

So, maybe IE6's days are over?

No I don't think so. This seems to be a old problem, I-frames in javascripts are not new. IE6.0 does not work but FF2.0 or K-meleon (both Gecko 1.8) don't have any problems with your link and I assume they never had. So this must already have been the case when IE6.0 was still supported. And it is still supported, updates are still available! Not for Win9x offcourse but that's a different matter.

This is the choice (read error if you like) from the website's creators. Similar case, some site's don't work in FF because of activeX. Does this mean that IE is required? For these particular sites the answer is yes but you can't blaim Mozilla for that.

And I wonder if we need I-frames in javascript more than activeX :)

I tried the link, and surprisingly I got the error! That's just incredible.

Why the webmaster wanted to display web content in a javascript popup?!

Ok, it's not the first time a webpage doesn't display (honestly when that happens I sent this website to hell), and I always assumed it was by ignorance of the webmaster.

But here it can't be ignorance since he wrote a specific error message abot that!

That's incomprehensible...

This is the choice (read error if you like) from the website's creators...

That might be the case, but it worked fine in IE6 last year...

So, it does indicate deliberate exclusion of IE6 for their website.

I expect this trend will continue, and especially when IE8 is released, many websites will be forced to comply with stricter scripting.

See here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_8

Of course, Firefox works...

I don't see where this is a 98/ME problem. SeaMonkey on 98FE works at that site just fine. Microsoft does the same thing with a lot of their sites, making them so they don't display correctly in Mozilla or Firefox, or using ActiveX to make certain that only IE users can access their sites.

What's really odd here is that the site will work with IE6, if Javascript isn't allowed to identify the browser. I used Proxomitron to block a lot of Javascript and to hide the browsers identity. I did have to right click on "refresh" once, but other than that, the site worked in IE6 as long as it couldn't identify that IE6 was the browser. Then again, they might be doing users a favor by preventing them from using such an insecure browser.

Rick

Hello,

Okay I saw this subject a few minutes ago, fired up my 98SE computer with 6IE no problems. :whistle:

I use seamonkey or opera on my win98se computers and firefox and opera 9.5 on my windows xp computers.

and there still are alot of sites that are 6IE friendly, but go with FF or OP anyway. :hello: