boot problem

bs0409

I have a folder in which the xp installation files and folders are there...........I burned the contents to a CD and tried to boot the PC from the cd.............but my PC won't boot........I think the boot file is msssing.....How do i restore it???

are you sure you burned the disc as a bootable cd? if not download nlite and burn it from there.

if you DID burn it as a bootable cd, you could try modifying the settings in the bios to boot from the cd-rom first... but where the setting is is unique to the brand of bios (e.g. award, phoenix etc)

if all fails, try reburning the disk.

Shouldn't you make those files into an ISO then burn the ISO? I am not sure if you just burned it as a data CD or something. If you just copied the files to a folder then tried to re-burn them without making them into an ISO then re-burning then the CD wont boot. But then again I could be wrong ;)

Hope I was a little help!

you can burn them directly in nlite without creating a bootable iso. that's what i did when my old 40gb hdd failed and i used a temporary copy of xp on a 20gb hdd and i didn't have enough space left to create an iso.

but yeah, just dragging and dropping it into nero or something won't work.