Installing WinXP PRO from LAN

Vilioshaz

Hello. I have a laptop with a cd-rom, which isn't working and i also have another pc (winxp pro) which is in my lan behind router (in my house too (SMC)). My laptop supports booting from lan. After some big lag's happening i decided i need to reinstall my windows. The point is that only way to read the cd is through the other pc. So can someone tell me how could i make this installation happen? :unsure:

Fix the CD drive in the laptop? :unsure:

There are ways to do network installs, but that requires a domain and an installation server and other complicated stuff, I think. I've never tried it though. :wacko:

Yeah, you'll need an RIS (Remote Installation Services) server, or some other remote deployment tool.

Sorry guys but your wrong,

you can copy the cd to the network somewhere and boot into dos and run \\server\share\winnt32.exe or winnt.exe and it will begin the install

however you may have to tinker with local security policies in order to get a dos client to authenticate with another machine, i think the policy is something like "digitally sign communications" set to never :)

if you need any more help il look into it later

cheers

what about a 98 boot disk?
People replied to his idea of starting the install trough Network PXE boot, I assumed there was no floppy drive either on his laptop. ;)

If not, maybe read Jaclaz's guide and create a bootable USB stick ?

... wating for Jaclaz to come by and post 5 link in a row ... :D