Buying Monitor

magicfly

Here's what you need to know about widescreen LCD resolutions:

17" - 19" widescreen = 1440x900 resolution

20" - 22" widescreen = 1680x1050 resolution

24" - 27" widescreen = 1920x1200 resolution

30"+ widescreen = 2560x1600 resolution (exceptions are HDTV's being used as monitors, those are usually 1366x768)

I find it odd that so many replies have been "wasted" discussing who's right or wrong about how much less area a widescreen vs. standard width monitor has, and not one single person has mentioned contrast ratio or response times. Let's get back to the discussion at hand... :)

Ideally you want an LCD monitor that has a 1000:1 or higher contrast ratio. Be careful of some monitors though because they advertise a dynamic contrast ratio (Samsung is doing this with their latest LCD monitors). You want to look at the actual contrast ratio. Basically, the contrast ratio is the difference in brightness between the darkest dark and brightest white an LCD panel can produce. The higher the ratio, the closer to true black you'll get (assuming that the brightest white is true white to start with). I don't believe there's a single LCD monitor on the market right now that can produce a true black, but some are coming very close.

As for response time, if you plan on doing any sort of gaming then you want the lowest response time you can afford. 5ms seems to be about the average, but you can find some as low as 2ms (again, I point to Samsung).

Personally, I have the Dell UltraSharp 24" 2407WFP and couldn't be happier. If you look at Dell, do not look at anything other than their UltraSharp line. As for Viewsonic, I try to stay away from them. Their quality control has gone downhill in the last few years.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

I set up new computers and monitors for people all the time as a part of my home computer repair business.

LG seems to be one of the clearest and sharpest ones I've set up.

Acer is the worst!

It just seems too bright and I can't dim them down enough to get things to look right.

I don't know who makes the Dell LCD monitors, but Sony made many of their CRT's. I'm using one now.

The "Trinitron" logo in the upper frame was a dead give-away. It's a beautiful monitor.

The best bet is to walk into a store and actually SEE what you're buying.

To get a standard picture (Image) on a wide screen the image will usually be 'S-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d' to fit the screen.

I really hate that on the wide screen TV's! :angry:

If you're just surfing the internet or playing games, no big problem, but if you're doing photo editing or running AutoCad, you might want to keep the original Aspect Ratio, where round things actually look ROUND and not oblong.

In that case a standard shaped screen would serve you best.

Good Luck on your quest,

Andromeda43 B)

Friends, i need your last word, these are my choices:

LG L204WS-SF 20" VGA Silver 5Ms Wide

1. http://www.essedi.it/scheda_art.htm?SID=&a...T=_OM_&PRT=

SAMSUNG 940NW 19" Wide

2. http://www.essedi.it/scheda_art.htm?SID=&a...T=_OM_&PRT=

ASUS VW193S 19" Wide Multimedia

3. http://www.essedi.it/scheda_art.htm?SID=&a...T=_OM_&PRT=

which one between these? THANKS! :thumbup

I find it odd that so many replies have been "wasted" discussing who's right or wrong about how much less area a widescreen vs. standard width monitor has, and not one single person has mentioned contrast ratio or response times. Let's get back to the discussion at hand... :)

Sorry.

:blushing:

post-57090-1191162222_thumb.jpg

Contrasto 5000:1
* taken form the specs of the LG L204WS-SF

Right... in contrast to what? :P

I would take the Samsung 19" as you don’t want a 20"...

Thanks PuntoMX for all your replies, you're cool! According to quality/price ratio...what about between SAMSUNG 19" and LG 20"? I see LG beats Samsung in almost the characteristics....and at a lower price (-10 €)...i'm really undecided between these 2 now.. :)

I think I must be blind, that LGE is 20" :blushing:.

http://it.lge.com/products/model/detail/lcd_l204wssf.jhtml#

I would personally go for a 20" screen, and it’s almost the same as the Philips, read LG(E)/Philips, I posted before but for a lower price.

Remember that neither the LGE 20" or Samsung 19" screens have DVI, if you want DVI in Europe you pay extra taxes, this explains why the

200AW8FS/00 from Philips is more expensive, besides the small laptop like speakers in the back...

Excuse me for not taking my time to look at your post with those 3 screens...