Buying Monitor

magicfly

Hello friends.

My CRT is slowly dying after 7 years of nice work...so i'm going to buy a new monitor, LCD this time :)

Unfortunately i'm not so strong on monitor choices so i'd like to ask you some advices about new models...for 200 dollars max..

What about 4:3 or 16:9? For which use would you choose one or the other? Thanks

:hello:

I don’t know what is sold in Italy so a link to a shop or so would be welcome ;).

I would take a look at a 19" widescreen (16:10) with 1440*900pix., almost all screens are like that now, in general they cost less then a 4:3 screen with the same diameter, normally 1280*1024pix.. Brands like Samsung and Viewsonic are popular...

I don’t know what is sold in Italy so a link to a shop or so would be welcome ;).

I would take a look at a 19" widescreen (16:10) with 1440*900pix., almost all screens are like that now, in general they cost less then a 4:3 screen with the same diameter, normally 1280*1024pix.. Brands like Samsung and Viewsonic are popular...

Thanks for your reply...well, usually i buy fron this following shops, i think they're good and with a nice quality/cost ratio, just check:

CHL

ESSEDI

FRAELPOINT

Thanks! :rolleyes:

You should take your primary activity into account when looking at the aspect ratio of the screen.

I find that for CAD or page layout work the widescreen format can be limiting in the vertical dimension and forces alot of scrolling up/down. If you are "working" this could be an issue. Some games might also have issues with widescreen formats, but most new ones are taking it into account.

I have also found that the many integrated graphics adapters do not support widescreen formats and required a video card upgrade for best display performance.

My personal preference is samsung (low cost) and NEC (higher cost - but worth it in the GX series). I have had poor performance / bad luck with viewsonic LCD's.

my 2 cents.

widescreen ..., in general they cost less then a 4:3 screen with the same diameter

That's because you have less pixels as well so it costs less to produce. The further from the "square" shape, the less surface for the same diagonal.

I find that for CAD or page layout work the widescreen format can be limiting in the vertical dimension and forces alot of scrolling up/down. If you are "working" this could be an issue. Some games might also have issues with widescreen formats, but most new ones are taking it into account.

I keep icons/menus on the left and right of the screen, this way I don’t loose the 124 pixels in height so much.

I have also found that the many integrated graphics adapters do not support widescreen formats and required a video card upgrade for best display performance.

The topic poster has a ATi x1600(xx) so that would not the problem here ;).

widescreen ..., in general they cost less then a 4:3 screen with the same diameter

That's because you have less pixels as well so it costs less to produce. The further from the "square" shape, the less surface for the same diagonal.

Yes indeed, 1.123% less pixels ;); it’s more the factory process and the demand for 4:3 screens...

...well, usually i buy from this following shops...

Seems that FRAELPOINT has the best prices. I found the LGE/Philips 200AW8FS/00 1680*1050 20.1" wide TFT for 246,60, that would be some 22.20 Euros more then the Samsung SM940BF 19'' 1440*900 19" wide TFT.

- TFT Screens are more expensive in Europe then in other parts of the world due to a special TAX on the DVI...

Yes indeed, 1.123% less pixels ;); it’s more the factory process and the demand for 4:3 screens...

You obviously did not do the math correctly. More like 10 times those figures. :hello:

Now, how would the factory process be cheaper for 16/9 than 4/3 ?

I have the Viewsonic VX2025wm and its a very nice monitor, picture is very good and the price wasent that bad either :P But take a look into ViewSonics, LG and Samsung they mac really cool screens. Even HP mointors are pretty darn good but they cost a lot and I dislike Dell monitors, I dunno why (I think its the brand name) I hate dells :P

Well I hope this help a tiny bit anyways.

Edited by computerMan

You obviously did not do the math correctly. More like 10 times those figures. :hello:

Now, how would the factory process be cheaper for 16/9 than 4/3 ?

Then you tell me how much it is :P.

Then you tell me how much it is :P.

The double equation seemed a bit complicated (and far back in time) so I went the easy way: trigonometry.

3/4 and 9/16 give you the tangeant of the angle so they are 36,8° and 25,3° respectively.

From that, cosinus and sinus give you the length(wide) and heights for a diagonal of "1" and if you multiply them (cos*sin) you find the surface and you can compare both and the 16/9 is about 11% smaller than the 4/3. :thumbup

Now back to the original question.

I think the very poor service of Acer (here at least) has to be punished in the long term.

first of all thanks for your replies, and now another question...

which one between Samsung, LG and ACER ?

I'll second the vote for Samsung.

And if you are going from CRT to LCD don't forget the cleartype powertoy from microsoft. It fixes up the square - pixelated text on the lcd.

first of all thanks for your replies, and now another question...

which one between Samsung, LG and ACER ?

I'll second the vote for Samsung.

And if you are going from CRT to LCD don't forget the cleartype powertoy from microsoft. It fixes up the square - pixelated text on the lcd.

Thanks! I'll keep your suggestions ;) i'll have a tour these days :P