Name Resolution issue for file server migration

goofylocks

Hi there,

I'm migrating server1 to server2. When I'm done server 2 will have exactly

the same as server 1 but much newer and windows 2003 OS.

I would like to know how I can go about making the users unaware of any

changes. Most users put links in their word docs, excel spreadsheets, etc,

etc... that points to \\server1\data\.. so I want to migrate to server 2 and

keep the server2 name but have all the users files still think that server1

is still active.

I've tried doing some tests such as adding a record in dns (ie: server1test)

but when I go to \\server1test\data\.. it presents a message saying "no

network provider accepted the given path".

So next I tried adding a static WINS record into the wins server and got the

same message.

Can anyone advise how I am able to achieve this as I and not permitted to

change the new servers name back to the older servername after the migration.

I have been given direction to only migrate data and make the new server look

like to old server but don't rename the new server to the old server name...

Make sense?

Can anyone advise how I can achieve this?

Also I've been asked to do this because we have many scripts, including

login script that references the \\server1 name.

Thanks in advance,

GL

Can anyone advise how I am able to achieve this as I and not permitted to change the new servers name back to the older servername after the migration. I have been given direction to only migrate data and make the new server look like to old server but don't rename the new server to the old server name...Make sense?

No, that doesn't make sense. The only way to make it truely invisible to the users is to use the old server name.

Also I've been asked to do this because we have many scripts, including login script that references the \\server1 name.

Scripts are easy...just do a Find/Replace in each one. If it weren't for documents that reference the server name through links then you could get away with just this...but because of those documents you're either going to end up using the old server name or manually edit each of those documents.

What's the reason for not using the old server name? The only possible thing I can think of is either coming up with a standard naming convention or changing an existing one.

Here's how I did something similar a few months back:

1) Once your data is off of the old server and it's been DCpromo'd down (if necessary), rename it to something else (eg change SERVER001 to OLDSVR001) and change its IP address to something else.

2) Remove the old server from your domain, and delete the computer object from the domain. Leave time for this to replicate before continuing.

3) Disable strict name checking on the new server - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281308 for details of the registry key

4) On your DNS server(s), add a CNAME entry pointing SERVER001 to SERVER002, and add a WINS alias on your WINS servers if necessary.

5) If you have any IIS sites migrated across, make sure you add any required host header vaules to the new server (and add Virtual Hosts to Apache's httpd.conf file if you use Apache)

6) Add the old server's IP address to the new server's NIC - so you have two IPs on the same interface -the old one and the new one.

So far, so good! You should now be able to browse to http://server001/ or \\server001\sharename, so mapped drives, printers and suchlike should all work, regardless of whether they're asking for the name or the IP address.

Do yourself a favour and update people's login scripts and profile paths anyway. Much better to use the new hostname than the old one.