A Real Windows Xp Auto Update CD

Handred

I am working for a computer business.

Well I am a tech, and i'm always looking for improved solutions..

In laboratory, I have to install many different versions of Windows XP, depending on the customer's license type.

Sometimes, it's a xp sp1, xp sp2, they can be retail or oem, etc.. So you'll agree with me that it's always a different CD I have to use.

We always use, in most cases, the customer's CD, because even sometimes, when it's a brand name computer like HP or IBM, they have already made their own package including their license in the install.

By knowing this, you'll agree that I just can't create my own Windows XP Unattended Installation including all Updates. So each time, I have to use the Microsoft Website and download all the updates. It takes really really long.

Now my project is to create some Update CD that will apply to any XP versions I'll be installing.

So far, I have been on Windows Catalog and I downloaded ALL, I say ALL the possible Win XP Updates. From before the SP1 to the latest possible update.

I am having now 700mb of updates on my HDD.

I have read through many and many many websites to do this. I always ended on "create an unattended installation" or a simple batch file where I have to write down all updates with the parameters to make them silent and not reboot.

Crazy? There is more than 600 updates it's gonna take me a life to do this! (You'll note exageration here).

I am also a programmer so I'm not having problem to code anything. Batch Files, VB, C#.

I don't know if it's just me but:

Update A: Modifies kernell.dll

Update B: Modifies kernell.dll

What if update B is installed before update A? Does update B include all previous fix of that same file? In theory, yes!

So I guess that updates absolutely HAVE to be installed in order!

This is where my C# project, after you select your update directory, fetches all the EXE files and orders them by CREATION DATE

Next step is to execute all those files, in order and pass them parameters to not reboot, and be silent.

My problem is the following:

Some of the updates are using an old parameters style, like /q /z, and some others are using /passive /noreboot, and some others do not even support parameters...

I'm stuck here, how to know what type of parameters an hotfix should use?

Or any other tips?

I want this thread to be a future reference for anyone who wants to do what I am working on!

So far, I have been on Windows Catalog and I downloaded ALL, I say ALL the possible Win XP Updates. From before the SP1 to the latest possible update.

I am having now 700mb of updates on my HDD.

SP2 does contain all previous updates for all XP versions so there is no need to keep those. I guess that's ~2/3 gone.

Actually they should not be installed in the order of the date stamp on the file. But rather in the order they were released by Microsoft, not always the same. But In most cases if they are installed out of that order the newer update will remain, I had found a couple that this was not true but I believe they have been superseded.

the easiest thing to to would be to use a batch file walk the folder with a FOR loop and install all of the patches. If they uses different switches put them in a different folder and run those separately. Or create a small database file, CSV would work, with the name of the file and the install switches and use that info to install them. If you collect the release data you could add that info to the CSV file also and then install in the released order also.

I think "creation date" of the file should do the job, although, I will get back on windows catalog and confirm all the dates.

Err... what's wrong with windows catalog? Did they release the new catalog version? I can't seem to be able to download anything anymore! :realmad:

Will this help? It's what I did to deal with this problem for me. Handles most of the patches I've thrown at it.

http://www.msfn.org/board/Batch_Patcher_t96854.html

==========<Edit>==========

Additional post appended to this one

Err... what's wrong with windows catalog? Did they release the new catalog version? I can't seem to be able to download anything anymore! :realmad:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

=========<Edit />=========

Edited by Yzöwl

It's like you can't select all updates for XP, it only works with searches! omg!

Search for "Windows XP", then on the list, click the header to sort it by latest date first. You won't want all the patches anyway, so you'll be fine to just select the ones that seem applicable until you hit Service Pack 2 (which has all previous patches from that date in it).