Intel E2180

nitroshift

We had a public auction for buying some pc's and one of the offers lists the Intel E2180. One of the requirements for the CPU is to have 2MB L2 cache and Intel lists the E2180 as having 1MB L2 cache here: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sla8y I understand that it has 1MB but the bidder says it has 2 x 1MB. Who is right?

Edited by nitroshift

The E2100 series have 1MB total of L2 cache. The E4000 series have 2MB of L2, and the E6000 series have 2MB or 4MB depending on the exact processor model. I believe the E6X20 and E6X50 have 4MB, but the E6X00 have 2MB.

The quad-core processors all have 4MB of L2 cache total. This is not per core.

In the end, that extra 1MB of cache is shown to only provide a 5-10% performance boost, so the extra price premium isn't really worth it (since that's all you pay for between the E2180 and the E4400).

Hope this helps. :)

The E2100 series have 1MB total of L2 cache. The E4000 series have 2MB of L2, and the E6000 series have 2MB or 4MB depending on the exact processor model. I believe the E6X20 and E6X50 have 4MB, but the E6X00 have 2MB.

The quad-core processors all have 4MB of L2 cache total. This is not per core.

In the end, that extra 1MB of cache is shown to only provide a 5-10% performance boost, so the extra price premium isn't really worth it (since that's all you pay for between the E2180 and the E4400).

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info, Zxian. Sorted now :) Regarding the price difference between the CPU`s, we have a budget and if we don't spend it, we lose it, so... :D

The Pentium Duo 2180 is still not out in the retail market by the way...

In the end, that extra 1MB of cache is shown to only provide a 5-10% performance boost

And that will be a performance boost of max. 5-10%, I wonder if it can get to 10% real life application speed, sure not for crunching big loads of numbers...