nlite suddenly exits

Borschtsch

I have a weird problem with nlite. After having done all settings, tweaks and so on, nlite starts applying all the things.

But after a short while being busy it suddenly vanishes completely. :wacko:

When I restart nlite afterwards it's also not possible to continue with the provious session, because it tells me that I should start over again. :angry:

This happens all the time, even on different PCs. I also used different versions of nlite.

Any idea what could solve this problem?

Under Vista I presume?

Anyway the reports have shown that it is the antivirus/spyware protection what is causing it. Still don't know why because even when I install trial version of those programs it never breaks for me.

What do you use?

I wouldn't say wrong, it's my fault somehow but what...

Try uninstalling the antivirus, that sometimes helps. I know it sounds funny and shouldn't be a rule but it's really the weirdest bug I have ever experienced.

Nuhi - posted this in an older thread - the nlite under vista problem - don't know if the event log entry any use:-

I'm getting this problem too. When trying to insert a patch - select one from where they're stored and get message nlite has stopped working.

Event log shows:-

Faulting application nLite.exe, version 1.3.9.0, time stamp 0x466fbce4, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id 0x670, application start time 0x01c7f6b1e78d2c38.

Running nlite 1.4 beta on Vista Ultimate. Have tried running nlite as Administrator too - same.

Seems it was not my Windows CD, because now the same thing happened with the other disc.

But I might have figured out what has triggered the problem: a "faulty" desktop theme !?

When I tried all modifications except adding in desktop themes everything went fine.

Borschtsch, can you please confirm that and give me the name of the theme. Try by removing one by one and retrying until it's found.

You can quickly remove not finished block by deleting i386\nl_proc.log so that you don't have to recopy the source every time, but don't use that installation after, it's just for testing. Shouldn't take you more than a minute to find the cause like that.

Wolluf, yeah but maybe this one is separate issue as it seems now.

• 3 weeks later...

nuhi,

First of all, thanks for your wonderful work.

I had the same problem than Borschtsch and tried the solution you proposed (i.e. change theme name) and it worked.

I'm using French Windows so names are different but some parts of your nlite.ini file could talk better.

This section makes nLite 1.4 vanishing:

[unattended]

UnattendMode = 1

ComputerType = Par défaut

HibernationNo

AutoLogon = The_Steph

FirewallOff

OOBEOff

CustomLocales

Resolution = 1280x1024

BitsPerPel = 32 bits (Couleurs vraies)

Vrefresh = 72 Hz

DisableSRestore

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 0

RestorePointLife = 0

DefaultStartPanelOff

DesktopTheme = Style Windows XP|Par défaut (bleu)|Taille normale

AutoUpdates = 4

AutoUDay = 5

AutoUHour = 15

ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

NOMS_MSClient

This one not (nothing else than DesktopTheme has changed):

[unattended]

UnattendMode = 1

ComputerType = Par défaut

HibernationNo

AutoLogon = The_Steph

FirewallOff

OOBEOff

CustomLocales

Resolution = 1280x1024

BitsPerPel = 32 bits (Couleurs vraies)

Vrefresh = 72 Hz

DisableSRestore

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 0

RestorePointLife = 0

DefaultStartPanelOff

DesktopTheme = Par défaut||

AutoUpdates = 4

AutoUDay = 5

AutoUHour = 15

ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

NOMS_MSClient

So "DesktopTheme" entry is clearly causing the problem.

Hope it helps.

The_Steph

Sorry, nuhi, I have missed your reply somehow - probably my Spam filter killed the info mails... :unsure:

But I'll try to check a bit further with the method you suggested when I have more time later.

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem! Seems The_Steph confirmed it.

Seems it was not my Windows CD, because now the same thing happened with the other disc.

But I might have figured out what has triggered the problem: a "faulty" desktop theme !?

When I tried all modifications except adding in desktop themes everything went fine.

what i tried was to add all installed theme which was the default xp, window classic , vistaGC , media center. if i add them all at once i get the error but i can add them one at the time with no problem.