Changing default profile on first install

renthead

My company uses a unique default profile setting, and we are interested in knowing if it is possible to import some sort of registry file into the install cd so it installs with those settings...so, i ask the experts, how do you do that?

Edited by renthead

Yeah, I wanted to do that too. Having used nLite for a while though, I know that there is a registry area called HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT that contains configuration settings that will be loaded automatically for every user that logs onto the machine, and/or for every new profile created, these registry settings will be applied. If you know what settings to insert (or just copy them to the relevant places from your own profile (HKEY_CURRENT_USER), then I'm sure it is possible to put on a setup cd. One way you could do it is just to export your settings from HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then change the path of all entries to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\ etc. and delete the entries you don't want (or that don't apply). Then have this registry entry run on startup. As far as I know there is a much easier way but I think it involves ini files, maybe somebody here who knows could tell us how! :)