Making fully updated Windows XP CD [Guide of some sort]

mara-

Making fully updated Windows XP CD [Guide of some sort]

First, you need a clean Windows XP SP2 installation disc. When I say clean, I mean on installation that is not modified in any way. Of course, you need latest nLite version, 1.4.1 Final in this case and Windows Media Player 11 Slipstreamer, version 0.991.

When you download Windows Media Player 11 Slipstreamer install it and copy main executable in root folder of nLite!

Now you need to download following things:

High-priority updates:

RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update pack, RyanVM Update Pack 2.2.1: Torrent | Main | Mirror 1 | Mirror 2 | Mirror 3 | Mirror 4

DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime November 2007 AddOn 0.2.1 - redxii

RyanVM WGA Addon 1.7.18.7a

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 and Service Pack 1 (KB933579)

Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP SP2

Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB936782)

Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)

Internet Explorer 7

Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB938127)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB944533)

Add everything from list above to hotfix page in nLite. Note that nLite use WMP11 Slipstreamer to integrate WMP11 so add it on hotfix page too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional updates:

Root Certificate Update (needs to be integrated via RunOnce)

RogueSpear's Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1, 2.0 SP1 and Visual J# Runtimes 1.1, 2.0 SE (Switchless Silent Installer, you need to create addon)

RogueSpear's Microsoft .NET Framework V3.5 - Lite (not svcpack compatibile, need to be integrated via RunOnce)

Microsoft Silverlight 1.0 (KB946609) [tested with RunOnce]

How to create addon:

Create one folder with some name, I'll use "example". Inside that folder create new one with name "svcpack" (you must create with this name, or method won't work). In "svcpack" you will put file you want to install, for example "example.exe". Open now notepad, and save it with name "ENTRIES_example.INI" (you can replace word example with anything, but rest of it you can't change). While doing Save As in notepad you will choose "All files" under Save as type" and then you will enter "ENTRIES_example.INI" under File name. "ENTRIES_example.INI" needs to contain following:

[general]
builddate=2007/07/16
description=Example Version 1
language=English
title=Example
version=1
website=www.example.com

[EditFile]
SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

[AddProgram]
example.exe /switch

Now you need to compress these files into .rar format. But do not compress folder "example", you need to compress only it's content (open folder, press CRTL+A, right click on svcpack or ENTRIES_example.INI and choose "Add to archive". I use WinRar for this).

Now use nLite to integrate all this stuffs and you will have Windows XP SP2 with all high-priority updates and with optional.

I'll try to keep this guide updated with new updates as it comes.

Hope you'll find this useful.

History:

03/02/2007

- topic cleaned;

- almost all hotfixes replaced with latest RyanVM pack;

- DirectX addon replaced with latest one, November release;

- optional updates replaced with better and fully updated;

- added Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB944533)

- added latest Root Certificate Update.

11/16/2007

- added Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)

- Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool addon updated to November version;

10/13/2007

- removed Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB937143);

- added Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB939653);

- Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool addon updated to October version;

- added Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202);

- added Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729);

- latest Root Certificate Update added.

08/12/2007

- Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool addon (August 2007) is replaced with Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool addon (September 2007);

-Optional updates added;

-Guide for creating addons addded.

08/19/2007

- Following updates added:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB922770);

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB917283).

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

And by the way the KB937143 is cumulativ - means KB933566 is obsolete.

And MSRT ... hell, thats crap! Especially within a clean install.

And all the german users should have a look at german-nlite.de GenuineHotfixPack_07.2006-v6

I did not ask your opinion about hotfixes. This guide is made for peoples who can appreciate it, and who can make some use of it.

Sorry, you don't need to share my opinion... :rolleyes:

Main intention for my post was to tell you about the superseeded IE7 hotfix.

You now ignore it coz you don't like my opinion? :whistle: Fact is : KB933566 is obsolete cause KB937143 is cumulative.

Sorry, you don't need to share my opinion... :rolleyes:

Main intention for my post was to tell you about the superseeded IE7 hotfix.

You now ignore it coz you don't like my opinion? :whistle: Fact is : KB933566 is obsolete cause KB937143 is cumulative.

Oh, sorry dude, I didn't see what's your point. Thank you for pointing me on KB933566, I'll remove it from list.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

Okay, no problem. :hello:

There's another one for IE7 you should include in your list :

• KB904942 - Authentication fails when you use Outlook or Outlook Express to try to log on to a HTTP-based mail server if you use IE7

It's an optional not security related update - but you get it on Windows/Microsoft Update.

Hi. Thanks for the guide. I have a few questions maybe someone can answer.

I installed all the updates you listed, but after Windows setup is complete, Automatic Update offers to download this file:

Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB938127)

This was already integrated, so why is it trying to download it again? Does it matter what order the patches are applied? I used the same order that you listed in your post, but nLite did them in a different order anyway. Maybe that's the problem?

When I check Add or Remove Programs, I see these two patches on the list:

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 and Service Pack 1 (KB933579)

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

Why are they showing up, if they were integrated into the install files??

Then, if I check Show updates, I see this one:

Update for Windows XP (KB933360)

Does that mean those 3 updates were not integrated, but silently installed? Is there a way to fully integrate them instead?

Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool addon (September 2007)

This is the latest Removal Tool (as of now), but RyanVM's Update pack 2.1.11 comes with the following:

KB890830 - Malicious Software Removal Tool 1.30

Is it okay to integrate two Removal Tools, one really old one and the newest one? Would they cause any conflicts?

Edited by Kashim

• 3 weeks later...

Guide updated.

@ Kashim

For Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 and Service Pack 1 (KB933579) and Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181) it is normal to appear in Add/Remove program. Update for Windows XP (KB933360) is probably silently installed, so you are correct.

Don't worry about Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool, I even recommend to add RyanVm's pack to integrate together with this addon. My addon just replace one file with latest one. So it wont come to any conflict.

I'm not sure why Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB938127) still appears on WU. I don't have that problem. Try to sort by date in nLite, but in that way that updates without date are at the top.

Cheers ;)

Hey mara, going through your guide some of your links are broken. I took the liberty of finding their new location for you so here ya go:

http://tracker.ryanvm.net/download?id=103 (RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update pack, latest version 2.1.11)

http://tracker.ryanvm.net/download?id=102 (RyanVM DirectX 9.0c Addon)

http://tracker.ryanvm.net/download?id=100 (RyanVM WGA Addon)

Also on the Root Certificate Update it needs to be integrated via RunOnce not like the other hotfixes (what you helped me with earlier).

Mara, do you think you could give me a little help? I followed your guide and everything goes accordingly, however when I run Windows Update, my installation has failed to integrate the first .NET 2.0 update (KB928365) and the .NET 1.1 update (KB928366). All others work correctly. I made sure the All-In-One installer came first. Any suggestions? I will remake my addons and try once more just in case I mixed up some files but I do not think that was the problem. I'll post my redone addons to see if you can catch something I didn't.