Cannot find gpedit.msc

ButchN

My goal was to keep the restricted accounts very restricted.

I did my search & all the posts I read mentioned use the gpedit.msc command.

Problem is, when I click start, run & type in gpedit.msc I get an error of: Windows cannot find gpedit.msc. Make sure you typed it correctly, etc.

That said, how can I edit the restrictions I want for the guest account so the kids will stop downloading & installing stuff?

Also I want it to just keep them out of the file areas far as adding & deleting stuff which I see XP doesn't do a good job of keeping secondary restricted accounts from doing.

Thanks.

To build off of what Cluberti said...

Only Windows XP Professional (or versions built on it, like XP Media Center) has the Group Policy Editor. Additionally, using gpedit for policies, you can only apply policies to the entire system - all users. Applying it to groups (or Organizational Units [OUs], actually) requires a windows server domain with active directory.

So. You have some options. One is to live with it. But, that's not a good one. Here's what I would recommend. Use registry policies to restrict the accounts. If you tell me what you want to (try) to restrict, I can make you a registry file to apply the restrictions for you. Just log on as that user and run the file. Some things I might suggest:

• No changing the password (if it's a shared account, which I don't recommend)
  • Disable locking the computer (doesn't matter if you use the welcome screen, which I also don't recommend)
  • Disable registry editing. Important
  • Disable Command Prompt
  • Disable MMC.
  • Disable the task manager - this is optional, and not really needed.
  • Disable the run command. Again, not that necessary.
  • Prevent them from changing the desktop, the background, the theme, the screensaver, etc.

So let me know what all you want and I'll try to help. :hello:

Sorry, it's XP home, SP2 which I keep up to date.

I'd like to restrict access to the control panel so programs can't be added or deleted, access to explorer if possible so the kids cannot manually add, delete or plain old see what I've got installed for them & if possible, make it so they cannot download from the net & install potentially harmful stuff.

While it is my old backup PC, I still like to keep it maintained in case my notebook craps out for any reason, & of course, just limit the kids so they don't go "hog wild!

Idontwantspam, if you can do any of what I need, I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks.

Edited by ButchN

I will make you a reg file that will essentially restrict the hell out of them, and all you need to do is log on as them and double click it and click OK. That's it. Do you want to allow them to shut down the computer? What about the task manager, to kill processes or end programs?

As for restricting them from viewing folders and all. I can remove access to the C:/ drive, although that restriction can be overcome without too much work. Do you want to prevent them from viewing the programs under "All Programs" on the start menu? I sometimes do that, then make a folder in their documents called "Programs" and put a shortcut to it in their startup folder, and in that folder, have links to any programs they need - like Office, Photoshop, Firefox, etc. If you want to restrict them from accessing certain folders* then you can boot in to safe mode and then go to that folder (logged in as an administrator) and right-click it, go to the Security tab, and check "Full Control" under the Deny column for that user. They won't be able to enter the folder at all. Alternatively, if you want them to be able to see it but not edit it, then you can check deny for Write and for Modify. As for installers, I might be able to restrict .msi installers, and prevent "setup.exe" from being executed, but that won't stop them from installing a lot of things. Someone else might be able to help you with that. Oh, and do you want them to be able to change the desktop wallpaper, or the theme? If not, which theme do you want applied, or do you want windows classic? And the start menu - classic or regular or they can choose?

Another great resource for you would be the event viewer. Just click Start > Run and type eventvwr.exe. Find the security log. You can then see when who logged on and logged off. Under the information log, there's other info and under system, you can find system alerts and such. Very useful.

And one last thing - do you have the welcome screen turned on? If you don't (and you use the classic logon, which I highly recommend) then there's a few extra settings that I'll apply.

OK, I hope I can help you. Just a little more info and I'll get you set up!

Also, if you wanted to, you could send me a remote assistance invitation, and I could help you over remote assistance to get things working right. If you want to go that route, PM me about it.

:hello: