dual core problem

colore

hello

my laptop has Intel T2050 dual core with WinXP Pro SP2 Corporate edition

I notice using Lavalys Everest, that under all circumstances, only core #2 is utilized and the core #1 doesnt utilize at all

even if I run one or more programs

I have done everything is mentioned here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416

but I see no result

can you tell me please what may happen?

thanks

If you set the affinity to one processor or another, this would happen (you can set affinity of a running process via task manager). However, assuming you have not set the affinity of this app to processor #1, then you might want to send their support an email stating that there's a problem in their thread scheduler on your box.

Is there a fix for this?

Maybe. It's caused by a 3rth party shell extension. When you can isolate the extension, maybe you'll can find an updated, fixed version.

When your system is crippled by this, than explorer should have an affinity of 1 processor. Download AutoRuns, and use it to switch off the shell extensions one by one. Reboot after each switch. When explorer has an affinity of 2 processors, you have found the evil one.

Tab explorer. Everything in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved which is not Microsoft's is a '3rd party shell extensions'. But all items under this tab could change the affinity of explorer.

Another possibility is that if you built a custom install ISO and force-set the PC type to uni-processor, you'll have a HAL that is able to speak to only one core.

A challenge to swap out, not impossible, but not for the faint of heart either.

Small possibility, but there you are.

people, there are so many shells, why could these cause such a major problem?

Another possibility is that if you built a custom install ISO and force-set the PC type to uni-processor, you'll have a HAL that is able to speak to only one core.

A challenge to swap out, not impossible, but not for the faint of heart either.

Small possibility, but there you are.

I am interested in this

Goto Device Manager, Select View->'Devices by connection'. The second item in the list is some Uniprocessor or Multiprocessor PC. If it's uniprocessor, (or no processor mentioned at all) rightclick, choose update driver, Choose 'No, not this time', Advanced, 'Don't search'. Here you can choose for an ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

• 3 weeks later...