User Accounts - Auto Logon

Dvij

Hello, I want to create 2 user accounts, (1)Administrator (password protected). (2) Myname (without password with admin privileges). I want to enable autologon with the 2 user i.e., myname. Whenever anyone tries to log in as administrator, it should ask for password. How to do.

• 3 weeks later...

create the new accounts the usual way through user accounts in the control pannel then click start then run and type in control userpasswords2 and this should bring you to the advanced user settings uncheck the option require user name and password when you hit apply this will then prompt you for the account details which you would like to auto login

create the new accounts the usual way through user accounts in the control pannel then click start then run and type in control userpasswords2 and this should bring you to the advanced user settings uncheck the option require user name and password when you hit apply this will then prompt you for the account details which you would like to auto login

The question is posted in the "Unattended Windows 2000/XP/2003" section. Please note the word "Unattended". ;)

No reason to be mean, he was just trying to help.

When you use control userpasswords2 to setup auto logon, what it does it put the username in HKLM\software\microsoft\windowsnt\current version\winlogon. The password is stored in the SAM (HKLM\SAM, youll need to add yourself to the permissions to view it) as a Secret. You can try exporting the SAM key but in practive i've found this has been very tricky.

-gosh

No reason to be mean, he was just trying to help.

I didn't mean to "sound" mean (can you sound mean when writing text? just wondering...), so sorry if I came across like that! I did include a smiley in my previous message, so I assumed it was clear that I didn't mean it in a bad way. The smiley winked, like in "take it with a grain of salt, I'm only pulling your leg a bit". Sorry again though!