Windows Administration Automation

kwanbis

I'm trying to learn some scripting to automate things, like copying files, creating forlders, copying files, creating/updating users, etc. I have searched and MS has 5 technologies: VBScript, JScript, Windows Script Host, WMI, ADSI.

Which one should i learn first?

Any recommendations? Thanks.

You're correct -- WMI and ADSI are basically libraries and apis. WMI can retrieve (and sometimes set) information on individual computers. For example, you could use WMI to retrieve Event entries or get the BIOS serial number. ADSI works with Active Directory.

WMI and ADSI are not restricted to one language. You can interface with both using VBScript and PowerShell.

WSH is a "scripting environment" that all the MS-based scripting languages run on:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcen...w.mspx?mfr=true

Vbscript and powershell would be two big things to focus on, you can call WMI and ADSI from within both of those, another one would be Kix but i am not familiar enough with that one to give any more info on it.

Powershell is the futue though :) if you want to learn one and don't have any prior xp in scripting go with that one

Powershell TFM

great book for learning about powershell and all it has to offer

As alternatives to the M$ tools (Not knocking them either) you can use KiX or AutoIt, both have some fantastic features. In the end I find you have to use a mixture, some are better than others. KiX has a built-in AD-aware function that parses a users' group membership which makes it ideal for login scripts (Map drives based on group membership). And AutoIt has some amazing GUI manipulation functions that can be your only fix sometimes. And then bat/cmd to stitch it all together.