Strange problem

enterman

ugh how annoying. Once I get a dump I guess the next steps would be to contact nvidia. Vista definitly has some growing pains.

Unfortunately, just like XP, driver support on release stinks from some vendors (*cough*Nvidia*cough*).

ugh how annoying. Once I get a dump I guess the next steps would be to contact nvidia. Vista definitly has some growing pains.

Unfortunately, just like XP, driver support on release stinks from some vendors (*cough*Nvidia*cough*).

IDEA 4 me anyways. Ive been running utorrent non stop for longer than ive been having this issue and when launching utorrent it gives me this error: utorrenterrorzv0.jpg Probably explains my problem. Ill switch 2 azueres 4 a few days and c what happens. 1 thing, after doing what u said 2 do in the last post im having LOTS of bad things happen and my comp is gettin pretty slow as a result of them so can we undo that mabe?

1 thing, after doing what u said 2 do in the last post im having LOTS of bad things happen and my comp is gettin pretty slow as a result of them so can we undo that mabe?

We sure can - again, I'm confident the nvidia driver is causing the crash, but I have no real proof. However, if you can't replace the driver, using a different application that is compatible with it (like azureus) might help.

IDEA 4 me anyways. Ive been running utorrent non stop for longer than ive been having this issue and when launching utorrent it gives me this error: utorrenterrorzv0.jpg Probably explains my problem. Ill switch 2 azueres 4 a few days and c what happens. 1 thing, after doing what u said 2 do in the last post im having LOTS of bad things happen and my comp is gettin pretty slow as a result of them so can we undo that mabe?

So I haven't been running any torrent software. Don't even have any installed. If the problems are related and it looks like they are, then switching your torrent application probably won't make the problems happen any less often. In my case svchost crashes at random and it's a random instance every time. Sometimes it's the iphlsvc, sometimes it's the one running the themes service.

I'm going to see when I get home tonight if I got any dumps, and find a way to uninstall that one firewall driver. This is annoying.

So I haven't been running any torrent software. Don't even have any installed. If the problems are related and it looks like they are, then switching your torrent application probably won't make the problems happen any less often. In my case svchost crashes at random and it's a random instance every time. Sometimes it's the iphlsvc, sometimes it's the one running the themes service.

I'm going to see when I get home tonight if I got any dumps, and find a way to uninstall that one firewall driver. This is annoying.

I uninstalled the firewall just now and everything seems a bit better. Also undid what cluberti had me do earlier. So far so good ill post if it comes back. Thx for ur help guys.

I uninstalled the Nvidia Network Acess Manager and life seems to be a ton better for me as well. Haven't had a host process crash in over 12 hours. I would have had one by now. Never got a dump of the crash. But at least the suspision of the nvappfilter was a good one.

Thanks! Now I just hope anyone else who has this problem is able to find a solution. This thing has plagued me for 3 weeks.

I uninstalled the Nvidia Network Acess Manager and life seems to be a ton better for me as well. Haven't had a host process crash in over 12 hours. I would have had one by now. Never got a dump of the crash. But at least the suspision of the nvappfilter was a good one.

Thanks! Now I just hope anyone else who has this problem is able to find a solution. This thing has plagued me for 3 weeks.

same here, since i uninstalled all has been much better. Ive got other probs id like help with though... 4 instance, with wmp11 I have 2. 1st, wmp quite often the 1st time I open it it will chrash 4 no reason. Another prob, sometimes when I close wmp11 it doesnt full close but just sits in the background. Pls dont suggest to use another program, I prefer wmp thx. Another question, would it b better 4 me speed wise 2 b running Vista x64 instead of x86? Specs: CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX Superclocked Sound Card:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty 2GBs of ram. 1 more thing, b4 I uninstalled the firewall, I observed a SVhost process using a constant 50% CPU (its stopped that since i uninstalled firewall) and in taskmanager I went ahead and right clicked that process and created a dump of it, would that dump be useful 2 u cluberti? if so then Id b happy 2 up it if u knew where windows put the dump file.

Edited by enterman

Yeah, dumps would be great but you'll have to use the debugger to actually launch Windows Media Player to capture these:

cscript C:\Debuggers\adplus.vbs -crash -quiet -o c:\adplus -sc "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"

This will catch it when it crashes, if it crashes. Just run the above command and it'll attach the debugger, launch Windows Miedia Player, and dump it if it crashes. Keep running the above command until it crashes (don't close the open windows yet, though, for any that didn't crash - we don't want those dumps!), and zip up C:\adplus and post it. Once you've zipped up C:\adplus, you can close any open WMP windows that didn't crash.

well wmp11 has yet 2 chrash, this post is about another issue (i have many issues, i know). When I try 2 launch any game from the games folder I get this error: errorvu1.jpg. This error was sudden, it started 2 weeks ago after doing nothing strange, it just happened 1 day upon bootup. Ive tried editing its values for play n such but when I click the edit button absolutely nothing happens when i click it though, it just sits there as if I didnt click it.

EDIT: ok now this is bothering me, U removed my sig and I understand y but I fixed it 2 where it was within the rules so y did u remove it again?

Edited by enterman

I haven't touched your sig, and I can see it just fine here...

As to your error, try this:

Open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Lnkfile - click on this registry key to highlight it

Once you're there, click Edit > New > String Value, and give it the name IsShortcut

Click OK, then close regedit and reboot.

That should fix it.

I haven't touched your sig, and I can see it just fine here...

As to your error, try this:

Open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Lnkfile - click on this registry key to highlight it

Once you're there, click Edit > New > String Value, and give it the name IsShortcut

Click OK, then close regedit and reboot.

That should fix it.

thx cluberti, fixed perfectly. What caused that? And im still wondering about x64 vista?

thx cluberti, fixed perfectly. What caused that? And im still wondering about x64 vista?

Honestly, I couldn't say. It exists on a default install, so perhaps a game was installed onto the box that deleted it - I really couldn't say. As to x64, I wouldn't do it if you're running Creative hardware in your box, as they're notoriously bad with x64 drivers. As to the firewall and the svchost CPU issue, it's likely that the svchost.exe process was the network services svchost, which holds the server and workstation services (responsible for handling incoming and outgoing network traffic), and the firewall wasn't 100% vista compatible - I've seen that before with versions of ZoneAlarm (not the newest version, but some of the previous ones).

Were you ever able to get dumps of wmp?