Server 2k8 installation issue

snwtoy

Ok, update

Tried running memtest - froze as soon as it got to the first screen.

Swapped some more memory around, and memtest started. So I probably did have some dodgy memory installed.

Tried installing windows 2k8 again - got to the end of the 'windows is loading files' bar this time (instead of one block away from the end) at the loading of winpe.

Then it just stopped there.

Tried the vista cd - same thing, got past where it did before but stopped at the end. This time I'm wondering if it's a gfx memory thing - this puppy only has 2mb of onboard gfx mem.

Have started memtest again to leave it running through completely this time.

More testing - booted Kubuntu off cd - no worries at all. Recognized both disk arrays, and was going to install quite happily.

Tried to install server 2k3 - Gets to the blue screen where it loads all the drivers, and across the bottom gets to 'Windows is starting' - the bit just before it comes up with the drive partitioning part.

Then freezes.

Bloody hell. This is really annoying. So time consuming every time you restart having to wait for the raid controller etc... man.

Since it is an HP/Compaq, I'd make sure that your array controller is running the latest firmware, and that the drivers you have for the controller in that server is also the latest version (preferrably supported under 2008 as well). All of your troubles thus far come down to driver issues with the array controller, from the symptoms you describe.

Firmware and controller drivers were already the latest...

Mwahahahahaha .. It's ALIVE and installing server 2008...

I changed the bios from os = other to os = 2000

GO GO FREE SERVER!!

Edited by snwtoy