Remote Desktop Mirroring and Access Rights?

brianafischer

Hello,

I have just purchased a new machine that was loaded with Windows Vista Premium. I replaced the termsrv.dll file to allow for remote desktop connections, but I am having a few issues:

1. The clipboard and sound is not working with remote sessions

2. My wife's account (non-admin) will not login

Finally, I was wondering if it is possible to "mirror" the display with remote desktop. Instead of locking out the user on the physical PC, is there a way to view the current users session? We are using a projector at work which is connected to a desktop PC. I would like to display my laptop monitor on the projector using remote desktop. However, I would like to maintain control of the laptop while viewing the display on the projector.

Thanks!

"Remote Assistance" is the RDP method of connecting to a desktop like this, but unless you configure group policies, it isn't an automated process (someone at the remote end needs to basically click "OK" to allow the connection otherwise).

I would like to display my laptop monitor on the projector using remote desktop. However, I would like to maintain control of the laptop while viewing the display on the projector.

Thanks!

Sounds like a job for Presentation Mode, not RDP. Why not set the laptop on the desk next to the desktop and connect the projector to it?

Not in the classic sense of the word, but Remote Assistance does allow both the remote connector and the host both see the desktop in real time, which is what the OP was looking for.

This IS what I am looking for! How can this be done?

I would like to display my laptop monitor on the projector using remote desktop. However, I would like to maintain control of the laptop while viewing the display on the projector.

Thanks!

Sounds like a job for Presentation Mode, not RDP. Why not set the laptop on the desk next to the desktop and connect the projector to it?

The projector is ceiling mounted and the laptop is not within a VGA cable reach.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
yes I want the same it seems silly microsoft couldnt support such a basic feature remote and local logged in at same time.

No, that's called "terminal services", which requires a server. It's not silly at all, honestly. If you need multiple people logged in simultaneously to a machine, you use Windows Server or a Linux or BSD variant.