[Guide] Win server 2008

aviv00

Has anyone had success preinstalling packages to Server 2008 R2, specifically DesktopExperience? Everything seems to work, no errors, but when I install the image to VMWare, Desktop Experience (and the other packages I preinstalled) isn't installed and it isn't even in the list of features. I did a search for wmplayer in the VMWare system and the files are in WinSxS so they are stored in the image. I'm using the new beta WAIK for Win 7 and 2008 Server R2.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<servicing>
<package action="configure" permanence="permanent">
<assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package" version="6.1.7000.0" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="" />
<selection name="WirelessNetworking" state="true" />
<selection name="InkSupport" state="true" />
<selection name="HandwritingRecognition" state="true" />
<selection name="DesktopExperience" state="true" />
<selection name="SearchEngine-Server-Package" state="true" />
<selection name="WindowsServerBackup" state="true" />
<selection name="WindowsServerBackupCommandlet" state="true" />
<selection name="NetFx3" state="true" />
</package>
</servicing>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:E:/server08/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 SERVERSTANDARD" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

i used dism and preinstall first InkSupport and then desktop xp

I still use the pkgmgr commands which call dism. I assume it works the same way. What do you use to regenerate the catalog? Image manager or dism? I usually get an error when I load the wim into the Image Manager:

7134zp.jpg

and sometimes I don't, but the install still doesn't work. Desktop Experience wasn't installed and it wasn't in the list of available features.

I used the guide by 7bingo7 and the tool by wnuku and everything seemed to work fine with no reported errors. I did notice this in the logs however:

2009-01-14 23:40:10, Info				  CBS	Appl: detect Parent, Package: Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7000.0, Parent: Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7000.0, Disposition = Detect, VersionComp: EQ, ServiceComp: GE, BuildComp: GE, DistributionComp: GE, RevisionComp: GE, Exist: present
2009-01-14 23:40:10, Info CBS Appl: detectParent: package: Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7000.0, parent found: Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7000.0, state: Absent
2009-01-14 23:40:10, Info CBS Appl: detect Parent, Package: Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7000.0, disposition state from detectParent: Absent
2009-01-14 23:40:10, Info CBS Appl: Evaluating package applicability for package Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7000.0, applicable state: Absent
2009-01-14 23:40:10, Info CBS Plan: Skipping package since its start state and target state are both absent for package: Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7000.0, current: Staged, pending: Staged, start: Absent, applicable: Absent, targeted: Absent, limit: Absent

There were "skipping package" entries for all the features i was trying to preinstall. :unsure:

I just managed to load the WIM into Image Manager again and I can't see any of my "preinstalled" features in the list of features. It's almost as if the "preinstalling" process is actually removing them.

DISM.exe /Image:C:\work\wimmount /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:%1

echo %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL%

replace the %1 with the InkSupport and then desktop xp

dont use the old pkgmgr but u could use the old wimfilter to mount the wim file

Edited by aviv00

With 2008 Server R2, I've noticed that if I use the Registry Tweak app posted by Wnuku, I can't install any features, and it appears to remove the features I'm trying to install.

eg. I run the tweak: install_wim_tweak.exe (with or without the /m option) on a fresh WIM

I run the install command: dism.exe /Image:e:\mount /Enable-Feature:WirelessNetworking /LogPath:install-log.txt

It gives me an error:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7000.0

Image Version: 6.1.7000.0

Enabling feature(s)
[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f080c

DISM failed. No operation was performed.For more information, review the log file.

I then run a get-featureinfo command: dism.exe /Image:e:\mount /Get-FeatureInfo:WirelessNetworking

and get the same error code [0x800f080c ( CBS_E_UNKNOWN_UPDATE named update not present in package )]:

Feature name WirelessNetworking is unknown. A Windows feature name was not recognized.
Use the /Get-Features option to find the name of the feature in the image and try the command again.

It doesn't actually remove any files, just the name in the catalog.

If I install the features on a fresh WIM without running the tweak, everything installs fine, except for NetFx3 which won't pre-install under any circumstances. :angry:

After pre-installing the features I want, I save the image and run the tweak, which then allows me to remove packages.

Is there any way to regenerate the catalog file without using the Image Manager? I have the 32 and 64bit versions installed on Vista 32 and 64 respectively and it usually fails with this error message. This is the new version with the new WAIK beta.

7134zp.jpg

The log created indicates it's a problem with the program, not the image.

20090115_3828.txt

DISM.exe /Image:C:\work\wimmount /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:WirelessNetworking

echo %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL% %ERRORLEVEL%

here the right cmd to enable feature

Edited by aviv00

I noticed in the package list posted by7bingo7 that some of them have en-US versions as well. Is it necessary to remove both versions of the package? I notice in the Image Manager that the packages/features are duplicated in the language section so every package/feature probably has a en-US counterpart.

Microsoft-Windows-FileServer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7000.0
Microsoft-Windows-FileServer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7000.0

Microsoft-Windows-WMI-SNMP-Provider-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7000.0
Microsoft-Windows-WMI-SNMP-Provider-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7000.0

DISM.exe /Image:C:\work\wimmount /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:WirelessNetworking

here the right cmd to enable feature

It's the same thing, whether you use /FeatureName:WirelessNetworking or just /Enable-Feature:WirelessNetworking . The end result is that I get the Error: 0x800f080c and it's no longer visible in the image. Do you use the reg tweak before you enable features? I thought that was only necessary for removing features, not enabling them. The guide 7bingo7 posted said to apply the tweak before enabling packages, although that was for 2008 Server SP1, not R2.

Have you enabled the NetFx3 feature in R2 ?

BTW, why do you repeat the %ERRORLEVEL% 6 times? It will only have one value after an operation.

I'm definitely not removing it by mistake.

Applying the registry tweak on a fresh WIM of 2008 Server R2:

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing>install_wim_tweak /m
-------------------------------------------
------Pre-install registry Tweak Tool------
---------------for Windows 6.x-------------
-------------------------------------------
Type path to mounted install.wim :
e:\mount
Creating BKP of registry file... OK
Mounting registry file... OK
Enabilng taking ownership... OK
Editing 'Packages' subkeys 391/391 OK
Editing 'PackagesPending' subkeys 377/377OK
Modyfing registry completed sucessfully.
-------------------Ending------------------
Unmounting key... OK
Removing BKP file... OK

Get NetFx3 feature info

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing>dism.exe /Image:e:\mount /Get-FeatureInfo /FeatureName:NetFx3

Feature Information:

Feature Name : NetFx3
Display Name : Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
Description : Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
Restart Required : Possible
State : Disabled

The operation completed successfully.

Enable the feature:

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing>dism.exe /Image:e:\mount /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3

Enabling feature(s)
[==========================100.0%==========================]

DISM failed. No operation was performed.
For more information, review the log file.

No worky! :angry: Now if I get feature info...

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing>dism.exe /Image:e:\mount /Get-FeatureInfo /FeatureName:NetFx3

Feature name NetFx3 is unknown.
A Windows feature name was not recognized.
Use the /Get-Features option to find the name of the feature in the image and try the command again.

Feature is unknown! This happens to other features as well, if the reg tweak is applied before enabling

A fresh WIM without applying the tweak

Get NetFx3feature Info:

Feature Information:

Display Name : Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
Description : Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
Restart Required : Possible
State : Disabled

The operation completed successfully.

Enable the feature

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\Servicing>dism.exe /Image:e:\mount /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3

Enabling feature(s)
[===========================98.8%========================= ]

Error: 1603

Fatal error during installation.

Error 1603. The feature is not removed, however. Other features like DesktopExperience install fine

Is anyone else using WAIK on 2008 Server R2 ???

Edit: If I use the /m option on the registry tweak (removing owner keys in packages pending), then it will remove netfx3 as well as the features listed in the post below. If i don't use the /m option, it will fail but the features will not be removed.

Edited by Grope For Luna

I did a comparison of available features before and after attempting to enable NetFx3 (post registry tweak) and it actuallly removes the following features:

Feature Name : RightsManagementServices

Feature Name : RMS-Federation

Feature Name : RightsManagementServices-AdminTools

Feature Name : DirectoryServices-DomainController

Feature Name : DirectoryServices-AdministrativeCenter

Feature Name : DirectoryServices-ADAM

Feature Name : ActiveDirectory-PowerShell

Feature Name : WCF-HTTP-Activation

Feature Name : WCF-NonHTTP-Activation

Feature Name : CertificateServicesManagementTools

Feature Name : CertificateServices

Feature Name : WebEnrollmentServices

Feature Name : CertificateEnrollmentPolicyServer

Feature Name : CertificateEnrollmentServer

:blink:

The /m option seems to muck things up on R2 but if you don't use it you can't remove anything so it's kind of pointless. I'm going to try removing stuff from the installed system with dism.

Is there any point to removing packages from R2? Even if I remove a bunch of packages, my installation is about the same size as before. The WAIK tools don't really remove anything. The smallest I ever got my installation DVD was ~1.75GB. I tried to use peimg.exe /prep but that failed with an error. The best you can probably do is enable stuff that can be removed with Vlite like QWAVE, InkSupport/Handwritingrecognition, etc.

Edited by Grope For Luna

I just did a VMWare install of Web Server 2008 R2 . I pre-enabled InkSupport, DesktopExperience, WindowsServerBackup and SearchEngine-Server-Package with DISM. After installing, I had to open Regedit, set the owner of the Packages key to Administrators (and give full permissions) and delete the Owner keys but all of the packages I wanted to remove uninstalled without a hitch. I also installed NetFx3 via DISM with no error. If you try to install NetFx3 via the Server Manager, it requires you to install a couple IIS roles but if you do it with DISM it will install without them.