Graphics Driver Problem

SeeDent

I've just built a new PC and I'm having major issues installing the graphics driver. I have the following spec:

AMD X2 6000+

K9A Platinum Mainboard

2 x X1950XTX Cards (only using one as I get no display with both setup, havent tried this with OS or drivers installed)

2GB Barricuder

250GB HDD

650W POV PSU

XP SP2

Firstly I installed the OS with the upgrade and then the mainboard drivers including network drivers so i could get the latest ATI CCC download, this includes the hardware installed recognition for the card but as soon as I tried to install the ATI drivers I would get a system crash BSOD with a 0x0000008E error message (just the code, no main error). This happened everytime I tried to install the ATI software but the device manager stated the card was working fine and had the correct name device etc. I also installed the different card and tried both cards in the other PCIE slot to see if that would make a difference and still no joy.

After that mare I have reinstalled the OS and then tried to install the ATI CCC and just the driver and it opens the intro graphic like before but restarts the machine (no BSOD this time, I did use my Pro upgrade the first time around which may account for this).

Any help would be soooo appreciated as I'm starting to loose my mind :(...

Using your XP CD, reboot into the recovery console and type "disable pe386" and then reboot again.

I searched on google up and down and all i got regarding "disable pe386" was security related, implying virus and rootkit infections.... Care to explain how that command will stop the BSOD's?

Thanks for the quick replies... And welcome :)...

Yeah I tried the device manager but it did do it automatically... Will try and point it to the main driver tonight and see if I get a result though I'm pretty sure it got it from the ATI CD...

I searched on google up and down and all i got regarding "disable pe386" was security related, implying virus and rootkit infections.... Care to explain how that command will stop the BSOD's?

I Searched for "0x0000008E" and saw a lot of pages about Rustock B. Rootkit.