Windows Firebird - Discontinued

Oh maybe I can't remove command.com.Blame Microsoft for that.But I havent been working on it.

Following features CONFIRMED:

Slimmer explorer with new icons

Slimmer shell32 with new icons

NO WEBVIEW(Bye!! :hello: )

New Start Menu and Backgrounds

IE6

New Shutdown,run,and search dialogs

Better System Properties(maybe like xp?)

98 Updates

and

Replacements for common 98 programs

Feature to be worked on:

Lameskins(How to include in OS?????)

computerwizkid--

I have no kernel type programming skills but I like the idea of this project and have no doubt it will have a long and strong future ... IMHO every release of a MS product since 98se has been a greater and greater threat to humanity ... back doors are opened to "internet insiders" and they become harder and harder for a user to shut down (not accidental) and the EULAs become downright insulting and demeaning ...

I'd love to see a 2k8 kiosk version, where on shutdown, the owner has the option to have physical device HD0 (C-drive) wiped clean (reformatted at the bios level and then reformatted at the dos level), and then have the operating and program file systems copied over from clean sources on a second physical device, HD1 (D-drive). shutdown would probably take two hours or so ... that's not the point. the point is that when users turn their computers back on, they will know that they are starting from a pristine C-drive. I know this sounds radical, but with all the deep hacking of personal computers coming from ***extremely well financed operations (hacking personal computers is a form of domestic terrorism, financed by Federal Reserve Marxists and big business fraudsters heaving their last gasps in search of a domestic cash flow), the time will come that either we admit that we own nothing whatsoever in, on or about the computers that we pay for (because our purported control over use of is file systems is totally illusory... absolute control being voluntarily surrendered by the EULA to higher powers at the other end of "that wire") or ... someone is going to come up with an OS that boots ***everytime the same set of files, from a set of files over which a user can have some degree of control.

linux is not quite ready yet, and most of the larger distros have been taken over by Marxists ...

sorry for the rant, but a 2k8 distro which gives the owner the ability to restore to pristine condition all operating and program files during shutdown, would be gain a reputation as a distro that return control of the computer back to the owner, or at least that diminishes control from "big-boy" stuff that gets slipped in by wire at the back end.

computerwizkid--

I have no kernel type programming skills but I like the idea of this project and have no doubt it will have a long and strong future ... IMHO every release of a MS product since 98se has been a greater and greater threat to humanity ... back doors are opened to "internet insiders" and they become harder and harder for a user to shut down (not accidental) and the EULAs become downright insulting and demeaning ...

I'd love to see a 2k8 kiosk version, where on shutdown, the owner has the option to have physical device HD0 (C-drive) wiped clean (reformatted at the bios level and then reformatted at the dos level), and then have the operating and program file systems copied over from clean sources on a second physical device, HD1 (D-drive). shutdown would probably take two hours or so ... that's not the point. the point is that when users turn their computers back on, they will know that they are starting from a pristine C-drive. I know this sounds radical, but with all the deep hacking of personal computers coming from ***extremely well financed operations (hacking personal computers is a form of domestic terrorism, financed by Federal Reserve Marxists and big business fraudsters heaving their last gasps in search of a domestic cash flow), the time will come that either we admit that we own nothing whatsoever in, on or about the computers that we pay for (because our purported control over use of is file systems is totally illusory... absolute control being voluntarily surrendered by the EULA to higher powers at the other end of "that wire") or ... someone is going to come up with an OS that boots ***everytime the same set of files, from a set of files over which a user can have some degree of control.

linux is not quite ready yet, and most of the larger distros have been taken over by Marxists ...

sorry for the rant, but a 2k8 distro which gives the owner the ability to restore to pristine condition all operating and program files during shutdown, would be gain a reputation as a distro that return control of the computer back to the owner, or at least that diminishes control from "big-boy" stuff that gets slipped in by wire at the back end.

Um,yeah I think that is too complicated.I am not going to do that but you can work on it.

Looks Like Everyone is voting for 98 to be the best Windows OS.HMMM..kinda werid because 98 always used to crash if you didn't take care of it.If someone will tell me how to put lameskins into the OS,I will put a mixed version using rp6 core for taskbar skinning,rp7 files for more skins,and pr8 preview for srollbars and progress bar skinning.That way lameskin will be optimzed for 98 First Edition.

Edited by computerwizkid

1) Everyone votes Win98 because WinXP users don't visit this forum.

2) Skins? :no:

3) NO WEBVIEW! :yes: How about NO WEB at all in shell/desktop?

4) Slimmer Explorer & shell? Win95 Explorer.exe maybe? I tried it. It's fast but it only works with win95 shell32.dll, and newer programs don't work with win95 shell32.dll.

5) Biggest problem with win98 is not how it looks or how fast it is. It's hardware compatibility, especially display adapters. Why use new skins and icons and backgrounds if all you get is 16 colors in VGA mode?

In reply to Molecule perhaps what you require might be easily and speedily achieved by using our old friend dos to compress and/or encrypt your windows folder . Then on start up, do the reverse into a ram drive via lfn utilities. This would be very difficult to circumvent especially at higher levels of encryption.

"I'd love to see a 2k8 kiosk version" clicking start/shut down holding ctrl alt shift whilst clicking the cancel button allows the last app to run and explorer to close requiring a reboot to bypass, might be of some use to you.

In reply to Molecule perhaps what you require might be easily and speedily achieved by using our old friend dos to compress and/or encrypt your windows folder . Then on start up, do the reverse into a ram drive via lfn utilities.

LFN tools don't work with RAM drives.

In reply to Molecule perhaps what you require might be easily and speedily achieved by using our old friend dos to compress and/or encrypt your windows folder . Then on start up, do the reverse into a ram drive via lfn utilities.

LFN tools don't work with RAM drives.

:wacko:

lcopy then doslfn

Are you sure you know what you are doing?

Some of the other topics you've made regarding help with DLLs and such seem quite silly and trivial for an advanced user. Combined with your post about removing command.com, it almost seems like you don't know how Windows 98 works. Just my opinion though, since I don't know you personally.

I'm just concerned, 'cause you have great ideas, but you can't run a project on hopes and dreams alone.

Are you sure you know what you are doing?

Some of the other topics you've made regarding help with DLLs and such seem quite silly and trivial for an advanced user. Combined with your post about removing command.com, it almost seems like you don't know how Windows 98 works. Just my opinion though, since I don't know you personally.

I'm just concerned, 'cause you have great ideas, but you can't run a project on hopes and dreams alone.

I know what I am doing.And just a question,Do you want Windows 2008 Home Edition look like XP or VISTA?

And.GUESS WHAT?

I am getting Windows 98 Se and Windows Me so OS Base might change.OS Production delayed aleast 2 Weeks because of this.I was wondering is there any way to put System Restore into Windows 98 using ME Files?

Aw,crap!I had to reinstall my Windows today and lost all my modifed windows files. :no::no: But,I am restarting the project from a different perspective.What OS Base do you want:

A.98 First Edition

B.98 Second Edition

C.Windows ME

I have Windows 98(both editions)but I can get ME.

OH!And Windows Project Community Forums is finally back up.YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP AGAIN THOUGH!I got a pm from marxo.This is the new website:http://www.winprj.net/board

• 1 year later...
There's nothing like bringing up a topic that has had no activity for a year and a half. Good job! :thumbup
--psst-- have you seen rule 9?
9. Please do not bash old topics when a member has made it active again, it's been made active for a good reason; to answer an unanswered question, or to bring new information. It does not need to be closed or deleted.

technically, it was never called "Windows Firebird" it was "Mozilla Firebird for Windows" which is why you might not be finding anything on it (assuming that you searched -you did search right ;) )

http://seb.mozdev.org/firebird/

The Firefox project has undergone several name changes. Originally titled Phoenix, it was renamed because of trademark issues with Phoenix Technologies. The replacement name, Firebird, provoked an intense response from the Firebird free database software project. In response, the Mozilla Foundation stated that the browser should always bear the name Mozilla Firebird to avoid confusion with the database software. Continuing pressure from the database server's development community forced another change; on February 9, 2004, Mozilla Firebird became Mozilla Firefox, often referred to as simply Firefox. Mozilla prefers that Firefox be abbreviated as Fx or fx, though it is often abbreviated as FF.
which is from here (feature history is listed further down the page)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firebird