Black Hibernate

MtK

Hi,

whenever I hibernate my Notebook, I get a black screen, which I cannot tell if is really processing the Hibernate or Monitor went off.

Hibernate takes a long time & HD led works a lot...

Shouldn't I have a screen showing the Hibernate process, like there was in XP?

Edited by MtK

If you hibernate, you should see a screen similar to the boot screen telling you that the machine is hibernating, and then the power should go off once that is complete. If it gets "stuck", that's definitely a problem. However, there's a hotfix for this that you can request online. If that doesn't work, it's most likely your network adapter (or in the case of wireless, also possibly the wireless access point or router) causing the issue.

If you hibernate, you should see a screen similar to the boot screen telling you that the machine is hibernating, and then the power should go off once that is complete. If it gets "stuck", that's definitely a problem. However, there's a hotfix for this that you can request online.

It doesn't get stuck (usually), but I do have some fingerprint issues (as stated on the HOTFIX).

I'll try that, 10x...

If that doesn't work, it's most likely your network adapter (or in the case of wireless, also possibly the wireless access point or router) causing the issue.

can you please elaborate a little about this issue?

(I won't be surprise if this is the case)

can you please elaborate a little about this issue?

(I won't be surprise if this is the case)

Sure - almost all hibernation issues with XP (and now Vista) seem to be related to poor network driver support, and those match the symptoms you described. Most cases I've come across or read about on the web related to the actual NIC, but I've heard of a few issues where having the AP or wireless router enabled caused the issue, and replacing the router fixed it as well. You could test if it was your NIC or not by disabling it in device manager and rebooting to see if hibernation behavior changes at all.

Sure - almost all hibernation issues with XP (and now Vista) seem to be related to poor network driver support, and those match the symptoms you described. Most cases I've come across or read about on the web related to the actual NIC, but I've heard of a few issues where having the AP or wireless router enabled caused the issue, and replacing the router fixed it as well. You could test if it was your NIC or not by disabling it in device manager and rebooting to see if hibernation behavior changes at all.

1. Request the HOTFIX + Installed + Restarted.

2. Disabled the NIC (Wireless) + Restarted.

no good, I still have a black, long lasting Hibernate process.

I must state again, that the process does finish eventually...

Hmmmmm - perhaps you could configure the box for a complete dump, and then when the problem occurred again you could dump it while the hard disk is spinning like that?

I could, but again the computer is not hanging (certainly not crashing), it just take too loooooong... :rolleyes:

I can confirm that it does take a long time (few mins) on my hp nc8430 laptop, but it does always finish. I usually pull all my usb cables, press hibernate and pop it in my bag. Never failed me yet.

Bag does get toasty for a few mins though...

--Tosh

Edited by tyusaf