Black Hibernate

MtK

The issue seems to be the lack information. His machine seemed to be taking a long time and wasn't sure if things were working as they should.

I agree. It was silly of them to remove the progress bar. I'm speculating a bit here, but I believe the issue of taking a long time has a lot to do with the amount of RAM. Under XP most folks did fine with 256-512 of RAM. Hibernate proceeded rapidly under these conditions.

Now in Vista it is quite common for folks to have 2GB. Vista will run in 1GB, but my experience is that it really likes 2GB. Now, given the fact that almost all laptops have hard disks running at the slower 5400rpm (some even at 4200rpm), when you start to hibernate, you are dumping all 2GB of RAM into a file on the hard disk. Even my desktop server running Server 2003 with 2.5GB takes way way much longer than my HP laptop with 1GB. It doesn't seem to be linear either.

Anyway, the combination of the two things amy make it seem like it is taking longer than it should. I've pestered MS about that screen among many other things, but they don't pay any attention to me. Afterall, I' just an EU...... lol

The issue seems to be the lack information. His machine seemed to be taking a long time and wasn't sure if things were working as they should.

correct, this is a long discussion.

all of you just jumped in at the end... :whistle:

I agree. It was silly of them to remove the progress bar. I'm speculating a bit here, but I believe the issue of taking a long time has a lot to do with the amount of RAM. Under XP most folks did fine with 256-512 of RAM. Hibernate proceeded rapidly under these conditions.

I'm quite sure Culberti stated that it does show a certain screen:

As to it being a Windows problem, it is possible. However, I have 4 laptops, 2 IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads, a Dell, and a Compaq x64, and none of these have the issue. It is possible it's a Windows problem, yes, but it's more likely it's a hardware driver issue - if it really was a Windows problem, it should happen to everyone :).
Now in Vista it is quite common for folks to have 2GB. Vista will run in 1GB, but my experience is that it really likes 2GB. Now, given the fact that almost all laptops have hard disks running at the slower 5400rpm (some even at 4200rpm), when you start to hibernate, you are dumping all 2GB of RAM into a file on the hard disk. Even my desktop server running Server 2003 with 2.5GB takes way way much longer than my HP laptop with 1GB. It doesn't seem to be linear either.

Anyway, the combination of the two things amy make it seem like it is taking longer than it should. I've pestered MS about that screen among many other things, but they don't pay any attention to me. Afterall, I' just an EU...... lol

I have 2.5GB of ram, this issue also happened on the same machine with 1GB (before upgrading).

& no, there are no Memory issues - tested already...

I jumped in at the end, in that I didn't post earlier, but I read every single post before I posted. What I said is what I believe to be the issue after reading everything.

When you hibernate your computer, and give it time, does it eventually turn off? When you turn it back on, does it resume? If so, then there is no problem.

When you hibernate your computer, and give it time, does it eventually turn off?

Yes.

When you turn it back on, does it resume?

Yes.

This is more than weird...

The only weird part is that you are still trying to fix it. It isn't broken, there is nothing to fix.

The only weird part is that you are still trying to fix it. It isn't broken, there is nothing to fix.

I won't don't worry.

I'll just wait for Culberti, who claims to have this progress bar... :wacko:

(this is the weird part)

I won't don't worry.

I'll just wait for Culberti, who claims to have this progress bar... :wacko:

(this is the weird part)

I would love to see how he hacked in a progress bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is funny:

Hibernates does a nice Black Screen, but the computer does not turn off - it immediately turns on (as if it was a restart, but programs are still running)

• 4 weeks later...