problems Integrating Drivers in Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM DVD

rick456

Please Help:

Hi all,

-so my "first" several DVD-beer coaster attempts at using vLite are to no avail

:) -sorry.ok well this is a noob question/problem.

so I just got

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit English 3pk DSP 3

6.0.6000.16386 (according to vLite ver. 1.1 Beta)

Mainly,

-all i want(at this point) is "integrate" ICH8R, JMicron, and ACPI 64-bit drivers so that

we all can get rid of that Vista64 error message "...CD/DVD device drivers are missng...please install"

------------------------------------

-1st I copied all drivers to a floopy (to test) and evrything worked, no probs...

also, creating and burning a bootable iso image of my original (fre$hly bought)Vista64-DVD using ImgBurn or vLite was no probs.

-but of course, when I "integrate" those drivers within vlite, the GUI (no detailed log outputs to go by)

of coursejust says all is ok, until I try to use the new vlite DVD.

-...it just spews the above error message during a new install ?

but within the "already integrated drivers" window they're all there.

"Apply" it again?

-final iso shows up as iso9660(bootable)/Joliet ?; shouldn't this be iso9660(bootable)/mode1/UDF ? since its a DVD.

-also, the "Always enable ISO page" in the help docs is not in my options?

I tried "Apply" changes on everything I did and for every option(s) and action(s) it seems ?

Im using vLite Beta 1.1, which should be fine right ?

been searching this forum but cant find anything that really helps

---------------------------------------------------

->i'm obviously quite lost at this point, can anyone click me in the right direction?

thanx ahead for any helpful info

Rick.

...soI tried letting vLite copy the entire DVD to another folder and then set "Full Control" r/w permisions for that folder/sub-folders,..

hit Apply, again...

->but it still doesn't work.<-

anyone have any ideas? what i may be doin wrong.

-thanks again.

Rick.

Aa no, vLite still doesn't support textmode (boot) driver integration.

You can integrate them and they will be installed but only during setup, not before to bypass that boot message.

I have ICH8 and it is supported by the Vista by default, I presume you have some Asus board.

Also use DVD RW or virtual machines for testing.

Aa no, vLite still doesn't support textmode (boot) driver integration.

You can integrate them and they will be installed but only during setup, not before to bypass that boot message.

I have ICH8 and it is supported by the Vista by default, I presume you have some Asus board.

Also use DVD RW or virtual machines for testing.

Hi, thanks for reply

-and yes my MoBo is;

Asus P5B Premium Vista Edition

(1) SATA DVD (Pioneer dvr-212D) -> connected to JMicron(Jmb363) Sata/Pata port (this is likely the only driver it needs to get going)

(2) SATA 74G HD Raptors (Raid0)striped across the Intel ICH8R (1st two sata ports)

(1) SATA HD on a spare Intel ICH8R sata port

Audio-> AD1988B HD audio chipset

(2) onboard G-bit Marvell Lan's

-I know that it needs the Jmicron drivers because when it boots (using the Vista64 Install DVD) it loads

the initial setup files into a virtual Disk, ... I can then simply browse to any floppy, usb drive,... and load the driver it needs.

I can't however use the DVD drive since it doesn't really see it at this point, when I browse it just shows up as

a virtual "Boot(X)" read-only drive.

-The Jmicron sata/pata controller as you may know was thrown onto those and many other boards 'cause the

Intel ich8r Sata controller didn't have PATA for IDE. However the initial install problem regarding ,"...CD/DVD device driver missing...", seems to be with Vista 64 Install DVD's -it don't matter what DVD drive IDE/sata you have? -once it gets those drivers be it from floppy, or USB flash drive,... it installs perfectly by default, as well as finding everything I got on that board.

What gets me (and obviously many others) is why does it even ask for any CD/DVD device drivers when it has already booted up from the same DVD drive ? --weird.

-hence the below

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...9&SiteID=17

Quote:

"You can integrate them and they will be installed but only during setup, not before to bypass that boot message."

-so, if i understand right, when I did integrate those drivers with vLite it did work, its just that its not until later in the installation setup that it can apply them ?

If that is so, then why is it, when I copy those *.inf drivers to a floppy or usb stick, that it loads all the initial drivers it needs and works fine?

Rick.

It doesn't ask for a JMicron drivers, it (probably) asks for the RAID drivers.

I use ICH8 in the AHCI setting for a single SATA drive and it doesn't need any additional drivers that way.

Drivers integrated are in the install.wim image, while you need them integrated into the boot.wim image as well. I will support that in some of the next versions.

I use ICH9R in RAID Mode and Vista doesn't need any additional drivers to install on the RAID Disk.ICH9R and ICH8R are using the same Driver so this should not be the problem. I have a Gigabyte P35-DQ6 Board my DVD-Drive is also connected to a JMicron(Jmb363) PATA and Vista Installs without any Problem. Try to set 'JMicron SATA Controller Mode' to 'IDE' in the BIOS of your Board.

I use ICH9R in RAID Mode and Vista doesn't need any additional drivers to install on the RAID Disk.ICH9R and ICH8R are using the same Driver so this should not be the problem. I have a Gigabyte P35-DQ6 Board my DVD-Drive is also connected to a JMicron(Jmb363) PATA and Vista Installs without any Problem. Try to set 'JMicron SATA Controller Mode' to 'IDE' in the BIOS of your Board.

ahh ok,

thanks guys for the help thus far

-I have a "SATA" DVD drive, i'll try the Bios thingy you suggested, and if that dont work then i have an "IDE" DVD drive that I'll connect to the Jmicron PATA controller port and see if that works (gotta buy an IDE DVD drive first though :)

thanks again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and here is my hardware quote for today:

"SATA is just cheap SCSI -just ask Sun Microsystems or Apple Computers"

• 1 month later...

So here's my "Ultimate" fix -pardon the pun :) for that

"...CD/DVD required device drivers are missing..." on my Vista 64 new installs

-the web-links mentioned here provide a very good understanding, for me anyway, for

dealing with any automated Vista installs.-and many thanks to those Authors.

I went into some over-detail here, but hey, step-by-step feedback is good,

especially when it includes corrections.

I think, during the very early install phases of a PASS1, the "boot.wim" a mini-Vista boot image

is loaded with a bare skeloton of drivers into a virtual-memory-CD-Drive,

(very similar to "md" Memory Devices used in unix).

This however, is just enough to begin installing the big PASS2 "install.wim" Vista image

onto your HD via your DVD-drive.

-But, if for instance, the virtual mini-Vista image(boot.wim) can't load the

"...required CD/DVD device drivers..."

for example, the newer SATA DVD-Drive/controller(s), then it needs to find them via

a loadable floppy, USB-flash drive,...which is where You come in -compliments of Microsoft.

So, to permanently fix this you basically "mount" your copied ...\sources\boot.wim,

inject the required drivers (.inf files), unmount it, and then "re-image" your

new (OEM) DVD master on a blank DVD.

-and here's the "General" HowTo driver-injection article I found (for Vista 32), and early Workstation deployments, works for me.

http://apcmag.com/5436/customise_windows_pe_2_0

----------------------------------------------------------

Here's my hardware/OS:

-Microsoft Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS(purchased separately (brand new & legit), so as to Install "fresh" on my:

-Asus P5B-Premium Vista Edition motherbard; (no its not a joke, the board is actually called Vista Edition)

(with the onboard Intel ICH8R SATA controllers,.. and a Jmicron JMB363 PATA/SATA controller)

-Intel Quad-core CPU

-(2) Raptors striped across the ICH8R Sata controllers

-(1) Pioneer "SATA" DVR-212D DVD/CD on the Jmb363 sata controller(AHCI mode in BIOS).

---------------------------------------------------------

Note:

(my steps below are all for an "Ultimate Vista 64-bit" unattended driver injection,

Vista 32 will be slightly different $PATHS, however the info-link mentioned in

http://apcmag.com/5436/customise_windows_pe_2_0 is for Vista 32, and is a good quick-reference guide

for modifying Vista "boot.wim" image files

Important! -> You will need your (OEM) DVD, and the Windows "WAIK" installed from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

-its a 998 Meg (mini)Vista DVD image file download, which you'll burn on a blank DVD and install it.

-Included with it though, is both the:

"Windows System Image Manager"-WSIM app- (which is primarily used for modifying ...\sources\install.wim image files).

and,

"Windows PE Tools Command Prompt" -PETools app- (which is primarily used for modifying ...\sources\boot.wim image files).

In my case, I only needed the PETools part of WAIK.

Here's the steps I used:

1./ copy entire (OEM) DVD to D:\DVD, and make a couple sub-folders under D:\DVD

named "Drivers" and "Mount".

2./ In my case, I copied all the required (Intel and Jmicron)SATA contoller driver files to D:\DVD\Drivers

(*.inf/cat/sys files - but no exe's)

3./ Share D:\DVD with "full-control" permissions for yourself/Admin.

4./ if you have Vista 32 -skip to step 5./, otherwise, open an Administrator command shell

from "Start" -> "run" type cmd but instead of hitting "Enter"-key, hit the "Ctrl-Shift-Enter"

SETX Imgx "%Programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64" -m

5./ from your "Start" -> Programs" -> "Microsoft Windows AIK" -Run as Admin the

"Windows PE Tools Command Prompt" shell.

5./

(cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64)

imagex /mountrw D:\DVD\sources\boot.wim 2 D:\DVD\Mount

(cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools)

peimg /inf=D:\DVD\Drivers\*.inf /image=D:\DVD\Mount

(cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64)

imagex /unmount /commit D:\DVD\Mount

(cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools)

oscdimg -n -m -b"%Programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\amd64\boot\etfsboot.com" D:\DVD D:\Vista64.iso

6./ thats it, burn that .iso onto a DVD blank with your favourite 3rd-party app.

note1: (the cd ... in brackets are there for brevity, although the PETools command shell actually

adds those $PATHS to your environment automatically, depending if you've got x86(32-bit), or amd64(64-bit)

-also since I just don't fully trust Microsoft automatically anymore, I prefer to "cd" around.

note2: in Step 5./ the "-m" switch in the oscdimg command seems to be an undocumented switch, however

it is required to create the DVD image size properly.

also see

http://firegeier.unattended-sponsor.de/en/create_iso.html

-very well explained site on unattended Vista installs in general.