Need urgent help pls!

kunal2sh

Hello Friends! i recently purchased a ASUS G1 Gaming Laptop with Vista Home Premium when i went for school trip. I gave it my cousin in U.S.A. I stay in africa now. My question is the laptop came with recovery DVD. I have the recovery DVD with me but laptop gone. Now i got a custom PC made. It got messed. Is there any chance i can use recovery DVD on this PC coz each time i try using it, it says THIS IS NOT A ASUS PC. Then reboots. Any help?

according to my experience you have no chance at all... Usually recovery cd/dvd contains special drivers developed specifically for the hardware manufacturer in a specified configuration. There is no way they are goin to restore a custom made pc...

If the CD/DVD lets you load (some check the hardware and won't let you even start the recovery process) you wouldn't be able to activate VISTA as again the OEM activation numbers are tied to the hardware (specifically motherboard). Now this may not matter as you still should be able to use Vista for 30 days before it starts limiting functionaility.

Hello Friends! i recently purchased a ASUS G1 Gaming Laptop with Vista Home Premium when i went for school trip. I gave it my cousin in U.S.A. I stay in africa now. My question is the laptop came with recovery DVD. I have the recovery DVD with me but laptop gone. Now i got a custom PC made. It got messed. Is there any chance i can use recovery DVD on this PC coz each time i try using it, it says THIS IS NOT A ASUS PC. Then reboots. Any help?

More than likely not. The recover CD/DVD are tied that systems Manufacture ID. So if the SLP is not supported in the BIOS that this DVD is made for, then your outta luck. You will have to activate by purchasing a new number from Microsoft.

Edited by ckw2068

The basic answer to the question is "NO".

That DVD was made to restore its version of windows and all the

special drivers for the laptop to that EXACT Laptop and no other.

Send the disk to the person that has the laptop. If they have a

problem and need to restore it, they'll need that DVD and only that

particular DVD will work.

If you want to add Vista to the PC you have, go buy it.

Vista is a horrible OS and why anyone with a working computer

would want to screw it up by installing Vista, is beyond me.

Do the person with the laptop a really big favor and send them

that DVD. I'm sure they will thank you for it.

Cheers Mates!

Me B)

Many people would beg to disagree with that statement. I'm using Vista on all of my computers now, and couldn't imagine a reason for wanting to go back to XP.

The basic answer to the question is "NO".

That DVD was made to restore its version of windows and all the

special drivers for the laptop to that EXACT Laptop and no other.

Send the disk to the person that has the laptop. If they have a

problem and need to restore it, they'll need that DVD and only that

particular DVD will work.

If you want to add Vista to the PC you have, go buy it.

Do the person with the laptop a really big favor and send them

that DVD. I'm sure they will thank you for it.

Cheers Mates!

Me B)

I have vista installed on my PC, my wifes, and on my laptop. All different versions (Ultimate, Home premium, and Business 64). Vista looks great and works really well. I don't know how you can say it's horrible. I have no problems gaming or doing regular work. My wife and daughter both love it. Most of the programmers at work also really like Vista. Unless your running some really old hardware that would make it run poorly you can't justify your statement. I had Vista ultimate running on an old AMD 3500+ with 1gb mem and an ATI 9800 pro. It ran fine and played Battlefield 2142 with no problems. So when people tell me it's a hog and you need all this new hardware I blow them off because they don't know what they are talking about.

No, OEM versions of Windows that ship with OEM PCs (like Asus PCs) are tied to the machine they are shipped, with, and must legally only be installed on the machine that the licensed copy of Windows was purchased for.

If you want to install Vista on another machine, you will (legally) need another copy of Vista.