Imagex question

Tripredacus

It could be the MBR that needs modification to find the hidden partition and recover the computer; I figured out that from DISKPART if you select the hidden partition as a volume, you can assign it a drive letter and then use ImageX to capture it. I now have to figure out how to restore the Thinkvantage MBR so that the F11 functionality that leads to the hidden partition and gives options to recover the computer will be intact.

I have taken a break from working on that problem for right now. The network was recently re-organised and getting WinPE to work properly again had taken some time. We decided to stick with using Ghost for multi-partition images for now but perhaps I can look into this again in a couple weeks.

• 6 years later...

Not sure if this will help at this point (7 years later). But find the caption or deviceID of the volume in wmic and use it instead of the volume letter.

C:\Users\jwarren>wmic
wmic:root\cli>volume
Access  Automount  Availability  BlockSize  BootVolume  Capacity            Caption
             TRUE                             4096         TRUE           255505461248  C:\
             TRUE                             4096         FALSE         314568704         \\?\Volume{1eefc47f-91b7-4a90-b6cc-9ef1d0db6f89}\

c:\imagex.exe /capture  \\?\Volume{1eefc47f-91b7-4a90-b6cc-9ef1d0db6f89}\ e:\HiddenVolume.wim "bah"

This also works in reverse c:\imagex.exe /apply  e:\HiddenVolume.wim 1  \\?\Volume{1eefc47f-91b7-4a90-b6cc-9ef1d0db6f89}\

of course the likely hood of the new volume having the same caption is near impossible.
Edited by WarrenJon