When SP1 goes gold, will we be left in the cold?

Bilar Crais

I read today that Vista SP1 will not be Vlite friendly, as it will be packed as an executable and is not readily slipstreamed (see the article below)

http://winbeta.org/comments.php?id=9573&catid=1

Nuhi - have you thought of any potential strategies to deal with the new service pack format?

Thanks,

CF

I suggest having a look at my reverse integration guide which I linked to in that post at http://winbeta.org/comments.php?id=9536&catid=1. This method *will* work and the resulting install.wim is compatible with vLite as I've already tested but the problem is that its time consuming.

Nevertheless, in regards to actually trying to integrate SP1 in an RTM image without going through all that, as I also mentioned in that guide, the problem is the main SP1 CAB in the EXE is incompatible with any tools that MS currently provide (its in a different format internally than normal Hotfixes) and no matter how I tried to manipulate it, it just would not integrate. Since Microsoft have also stated that SP1 will not be slipstreamable to an offline image in the Whitepaper, then either nuhi would have to come up with his own unique method for that main CAB or one would have to either follow that guide or obtain a preslipped ISO from MS that has SP1 included.

Edited by Arneh

I suggest having a look at my reverse integration guide which I linked to in that post at http://winbeta.org/comments.php?id=9536&catid=1. This method *will* work and the resulting install.wim is compatible with vLite as I've already tested but the problem is that its time consuming.

Nevertheless, in regards to actually trying to integrate SP1 in an RTM image without going through all that, as I also mentioned in that guide, the problem is the main SP1 CAB in the EXE is incompatible with any tools that MS currently provide (its in a different format internally than normal Hotfixes) and no matter how I tried to manipulate it, it just would not integrate. Since Microsoft have also stated that SP1 will not be slipstreamable to an offline image in the Whitepaper, then either nuhi would have to come up with his own unique method for that main CAB or one would have to either follow that guide or obtain a preslipped ISO from MS that has SP1 included.

Arneh you are wrong, it is possibe to slipstream the 6.0.6001.16633Build. I have done this some times now and trying to build this into my Vista Update Integrator.

Arneh you are wrong, it is possibe to slipstream the 6.0.6001.16633Build. I have done this some times now and trying to build this into my Vista Update Integrator.

Am I? 16633 has only been out for 3 days for you have to have done it for "some times now." Nevertheless, please let all of us know how considering I tested pkgmgr and peimg from RTM, from 16510 (Server 2008 B3 WAIK) and pkgmgr from 16633 with no success at all when doing a direct integration. Of the 5 cabs included in SP1, the only ones that would integrate were the small supplementary CAB files, not the main SP1 CAB from my tests nor would it integrate with vLite.

I presume there is a way but its not as easy as point to the CAB and integrate.

Edit: It is also worth noting that when I tried to integrate using the RTM version of pkgmgr, the logs showed that it was looking for a specific version of pkgmgr 16626 in order to work correctly. I guess what I mean by all this is that as far as I know, using Microsoft's current official tools, I haven't found a way to do it and that goes with their claim of its not slipstreamable with, I presume, their tools, not 3rd party ones.

Edited by Arneh

Am I? 16633 has only been out for 3 days for you have to have done it for "some times now." Nevertheless, please let all of us know how considering I tested pkgmgr and peimg from RTM, from 16510 (Server 2008 B3 WAIK) and pkgmgr from 16633 with no success at all when doing a direct integration. Of the 5 cabs included in SP1, the only ones that would integrate were the small supplementary CAB files, not the main SP1 CAB from my tests nor would it integrate with vLite.

Edit: It is also worth noting that when I tried to integrate using the RTM version of pkgmgr, the logs showed that it was looking for a specific version of pkgmgr 16626 in order to work correctly.

You need a pkgmgr Build 16626 or higher to do this. There are some Problems because of changes in the new Servicing Stack and some missing files. I can't tell you how to do this because i don't have the time now.

Edit: It is also worth noting that when I tried to integrate using the RTM version of pkgmgr, the logs showed that it was looking for a specific version of pkgmgr 16626 in order to work correctly.

You need a pkgmgr Build 16626 or higher to do this. There are some Problems because of changes in the new Servicing Stack and some missing files. I can't tell you how to do this because i don't have the time now.

Yea, I tried the pkgmgr in 16633 after installing 16633 but that also errored out with a bunch of missing files in the install.wim. Adding those files in didn't seem to do the trick either for me at least but I didn't look into it too deeply then. Anyway, whenever you have the time, I think we would all appreciate knowing how it works and I could update the portion of the article linking to you or wherever regarding how to directly update SP1.

Edited by Arneh

Well only problem is slipstream, they will release slipstreamed version so I believe we could request a new DVD from MS or something.

If someone, including me, manages to integrate SP1, great, if not we will simply silently install it, I can do that any time, problem is longer install time and more space taken.

i open the exe of sp1 beta and saw cab files i cant use vlite to integrate them ?

At this time no.

I have found a new easier method to do this now i build the slipstream into my Vista Update Integrator.

On my System the slipstream takes ~30Minutes on a clean image.

Edited by levien

i open the exe of sp1 beta and saw cab files i cant use vlite to integrate them ?

At this time no.

I have found a new easier method to do this now i build the slipstream into my Vista Update Integrator.

So are you using MS's tools/api's to do it or is this your own method that doesn't use their tools?

At this time no.

Hi levien, :hello:

Are you the creator of Vista update integrator? If yes, are you still on build 0.8.1.3 Beta?

If am not mistaken your prerequisite is the MiniPE Tool??