Autopatcher gone - nLite in jeopardy?

koitsu

I'd like to bring to everyone's attention the termination of the Autopatcher utility, as a result of Microsoft's cease-and-desist-development request:

http://autopatcher.com/

I have a lot of concern over this, not because I used Autopatcher (I didn't), but because it makes me wonder what Microsoft is up to. I cease to understand their motive for the termination of that project, and fear that nLite might be next. I hope not, or else we're in a lot of trouble (as SAs and tech-savvy users)...

No ! It isn´t !

It´s basically the same, that happened already before.

So the only consequence to be expected is :

Maybe ! The updatepacks will disappear again.

But since there has not been any new reaction from MS since they´re up again...

I´m not using any packs, so I don´t care, as everybody else should, ´cause nlite is not pack dependend.

Agi

If Microsoft can get just 1% additional sales on top of current Vista sales solely due to piracy protection schemes such as Genuine Advantage, then that could mean millions or even billions of dollars in the long run. Sites like Autopatcher render Genuine Advantage completely useless, so that's why it got shut down, unfortunately. We all know it, so there's no use in deluding yourself otherwise. Autopatcher may have made certain people's Windows experience easier, but they are in the minority (and would have already purchased Vista, if they were going to do so).

I don't like it any more than you do, but Microsoft are just protecting their products - products the company has invested a lot of money in. Think you know better? Try programming a next-generation OS within your lifetime and continually maintaining it without expecting any reward. Or just run Linux.

Edited by Undesirable

nLite doesn't include any updates from Microsoft, so I don't think Microsoft will sue nuhi for creating nLite. The problem with AutoPatcher is that without much hassle you still could get your system updated.

People creating updatepacks for use with slipstreaming might get a warning from Microsoft, but for example to make use of RyanVM's Update Pack you have to completely reinstall your system. Something most people won't do every month!

I personally make use of HFSLIP, which seems to do everything fine. Even better than nLite most of the times.

One of the key big issues is that Microsoft would be concerned about malicious code getting secretly packed into the hotfixes in AutoPatcher, then people complain to Microsoft.

One of the key big issues is that Microsoft would be concerned about malicious code getting secretly packed into the hotfixes in AutoPatcher, then people complain to Microsoft.

That sounds like one of the excuses Microsoft would use to distract us away from the true motive of taking Autopatcher down - the money.

There has been no malicious code in Autopatcher in the past, and there's no more reason to incorporate malicious code than any other legitimate Windows tweaking utility.