Trouble re-installing Vista

robbo777

Hi

I am trying to re-install vista on my pc but when I click install it says

"This computer does not have enough space for temporary files.

Windows installation needs at least 392 MB of space on any partition for temporary files.

To install windows frr enough space and restart the installation..

error code 0x80070103"

I have cleaned up and deleted all temp files but it still comes up with this error, can anyone help please

Many Thanks

Dean

If you are doing a re-install, you should be using a blank drive. However, if for some odd circumstance, you want to re-install on an existing partition, how much free space does it have?

If you are doing a re-install, you should be using a blank drive. However, if for some odd circumstance, you want to re-install on an existing partition, how much free space does it have?

All I want to do is re-install vista, i thaught if I just put the disk in this would just overwrite the existing. do I need to format the hard drive? or can i install it over the other one?

When you boot from the Vista CD or DVD, select a custom installation, and delete any existing partitions on the disk you are installing Vista to. Then, continue with the install, and things will work just fine.

All I want to do is re-install vista, i thaught if I just put the disk in this would just overwrite the existing. do I need to format the hard drive? or can i install it over the other one?

If you are reinstalling, it's always best to clear the drive and start from scratch.

Exactly how much free space do you have?

It's important to note that the free space reported will depend on your cluster size. Windows is supposed to use your default cluster size to determine that install size of windows, but in the past this hasn't always worked right.

Make sure you have at least 500 megs free. In your windows directory, sort by date, see if anything was created when you ran the install, such as lastknowngood. If so, it could be a temporary directory used by setup, delete it. (windows xp copied files to windows\last known good, when setup quit this dir should have been deleted but sometimes wasn't).

And make sure you delete everything in %tmp%

-gosh