Windows Vista OEM: what hardware can I upgrade?

Strelok

Hello all,

I bought Vista Ultimate x64 OEM for my PC and now I'm wondering what hardwre I can upgrade wihout having to buy a new copy of Vista. I want to upgrade in the future: CPU, (add a second or entirely new) GPU, add memory, add more harddrives.

traditionally i would say the license would be tied to the motherboard itself, being the "guts" of the computer. the only thing is i don't what will happen changing out the CPU, if it will cause vista to need to be re-activated or not.

There's no set list of what will or won't trip the activation. Even if you do something major, such as the motherboard, most people have been able to call in to re-activate regardless of what they change. The unwritten rule seems to say, for the most part, as long as you aren't trying to activate it on a second computer, meaning two computers at once, you'll be fine.

I upgraded my video card drivers and it made me reactivate... which of course I couldnt do over the internet or the automated phone option... I actually had to get an agent to help me... he said this is normal, because its a major upgrade... yeah whatever.

So far I've gotten away with a CPU upgrade, hard drive replacement (same make/model), and a video card upgrade. I had to reactivate after reinstalling on the new hard drive (obviously) but not for the other hardware changes.

well, I had to reactivate because of this... oddly enough!

I noticed that with Vista 64 my iTunes couldn't detect cd burner anymore and does not allow me tu burn my cd. This looks like a very common problem "http://www.emergingearth.com/itunes-7-cant-burn-cds" as you can see... Luckily someone found the solution in here "http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070714011213AAmyyEd" , this was the problem

"The issue appears to be with the 64-bit version of Windows Vista (and XP apparently), and the fact that a version of the third-party driver that iTunes uses to burn CDs and DVDs will not interact correctly with 64-bit OSes. This is characterized by an Error code 2380 when you run CD/DVD diagnostics in iTunes.

The third party driver is known as gearsec.exe, and the solution is to download the correct 64-bit version, direct from GearSoft:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/driv..."

Guess what happened? Yes, Vista detects the cd burner "under a new light" and recognize a "major changment" in your hardware setup... Reactivation needed!