Home server

Just had a thought... My neighbour and myself have a DSL connection to the internet each. I want to set up a box to connect to the internet using both DSL lines and share the combined link between us. Is it possible? Both connections are made through DSL routers.

if I understand your setup correctly, you'd use 1 box to have 2 lines come in and serve yourself and your neighbor. Aside from the appropriate wiring downstream of that box, it could be done.

It'd be a bit of setup work because you'd have to turn that box into a firewall, DNS, NAT, DHCP, etc... but once that's done I believe all you'd need to do would be to bridge the 2 network connections coming in (in windows), and have a 3rd go to your internal network.

You could indeed build a server and it could be a pain in the bottom. Software like ClarckConnect (Linux based, stand-alone) can do it, but I don’t remember if the free version can do Load Balancing of 2 WAN lines.

I would take a dual WAN router;

Symantec VPN 200, Nexland Pro800, BroDigit NFR3024, Hawking FR24, Xincom XC-DPG402, Xincom XC-DPG502, Xincom XC-DPG602, OvisLink MN200, HotBrick Firewall VPN 600/2, HotBrick Firewall VPN 1200/2, ZyXel ZyWall 35, Linksys RV082, Edimax BR-6104K, Xterasys XR-4106, and Pheenet BIG-02/4... And there are more, I prefer LinkSYS (SISCO now) my self but it’s not the cheapest.

Not always, you can Load-Balance incoming and outgoing xDSL lines, you have to try it.

I think I'll go this way: put 3 NIC's in the server, 2 will connect to the DSL routers and the remaining will go out to a switch that connects the 2 pc's and see if I can load balance the lines. If this won't work, I'll go with puntoMX's suggestion. Thanks guys.