XP Pro OEM Pid

depawl

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that they allow a license to undergo one or perhaps two hardware changes which is checked through a hardware hash and activation will work. But after their predetermined hardware change limit is reached, the license they issued to you will be deemed null and void. Anyway, I'm glad your activation went through OK this time around.

Actually that depends on what you change, and how soon.

A monitor I don't think counts at all. But if you change the system board or CPU - right away you have problems because the activation server thinks it's a whole different machine (essentially it is - but if you call M$ and explain what you did, they normally reset things for you - just don't try that too often [NO ONE changes system boards/CPUs all that frequently]), CD/DVD burners seem to go quite often, so that counts, but if auto-reset after I THINK something like 6 months or there abouts. Add/Remove printers/RAM, again after a certain amount of time... (They also allow some play for user trouble-shooting - like if you THINK a burner is bad, but not 100% sure, try one from a system that is know to work, just to make sure before buying another one, exc.)

In short, it's not so much the amount of hardware changes, it's more what is changed, and timing of the changes - all guesstimated somehow. But if there is a problem, MS can - and usually dose, reset things for you - as long as the explanation/timing is "reasonable".

Yes, that's why I was quite surprised to have changed the motherboard and not have to call MS for the activation.

REALLY! - That is surprising! - Or wait, was it by chance a straight replacement (exact same brand and model) and use the same CPU?

If not, I don't understand - but hay - don't look a gift horse in the mouth!