XP Pro OEM Pid

depawl

Hello:

I installed a new motherboard in an old home built computer, and have reformatted and am attempting to reinstall XP PRo. I have a legit OEM COA sticker on the case. My XP PRo cd is apparently a VLK cd. I've tried changing the Pid in the setupp.ini file as discussed here:

http://www.petri.co.il/use_oem_version_to_upgrade_xp.htm

to no avail. When I enter the 25 digit key, I still get an error:

"The product id you entered is invalid."

I've not been able to locate an oem cd.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

You could try contacting Microsoftt about it, but good luck - they probably won't help you. The only other place to download it would be from a warez site, and that would be illegal, so I wouldn't recommend it. :ph34r: Try asking friends if they have a disk you can borrow, or see if there's one at your work you could use. That's what I'd recommend.

well if he has a legit key and a coa i dont see how it could be illegal. i under stand that downloading a xp cd with out a coa would be illegal. i say if microsoft wont help you then the next best thing is to try and find a copy for your self. i had that problem before but luckly for me i was able to barrow a copy from my computer maintance class at school.

Edited by slipk487

Well, that depends on how you interpret it. Any way, it's against forum rules to link to that sort of thing. :ph34r: But MS probably wouldn't care if you downloaded an iso with windows as long as you have a valid COA. Again, I'm not sure though.

:whistle:

It's a good thing noone posted a link here.

:angel

if you have now luck with microsoft. google is you friend. if you have to resort to finding an iso you self just be careful of what you grab. there is a lot of stuff out there that are fakes. your best bet is to try and find a untouched if you can out there. but hopefully there is something that can be done instead of taking the later route.

I didn't intend to imply that I wanted to do anything illegal. Since I have a valid COA, I don't see what difference it makes if I were to download a copy of XP PRo or find a cd someplace and install from that. Anyways, I finally got my hands on an OEM XP Pro cd. Installation went like a charm. Didn't even have to call MS. Activation went through online.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I didn't intend to imply that I wanted to do anything illegal. Since I have a valid COA, I don't see what difference it makes if I were to download a copy of XP PRo or find a cd someplace and install from that. Anyways, I finally got my hands on an OEM XP Pro cd. Installation went like a charm. Didn't even have to call MS. Activation went through online.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that they allow a license to undergo one or perhaps two hardware changes which is checked through a hardware hash and activation will work. But after their predetermined hardware change limit is reached, the license they issued to you will be deemed null and void. Anyway, I'm glad your activation went through OK this time around.

Also be aware that often the number on COA sticker on the case is NOT the CD key needed for installation. Dells, for instance, have the CD key embedded in thier XP re-install disks, and the number on the case sticker is nothing more than a proof-of-purchase.