NET FRAME INSTALL IMPROVES 98/WINME!

esecallum

Hey, I installed netframe on winme 2 weeks ago as ineeded to use an image processing software and this was a prerequiste.

i have noticed that it increased the size of my windows directory from 1.2 gb to 1.5 gb but the system seems to run much more smoothly on multitasking and hardly any out of memory errors.

my system before it was pretty quick and fast any way but running programs cpu/memory intensive programs like super and running multiple applications like browsers p2p at the same time etc.. etc made it seem clunky because of the memory issues which 9x suffers from but after installing netframe it seems to bea lot smoother since.

anyone else notice this.

i have over 1200 prgrams installed on my c drive.

my orginal intention was to remove net frame after i had finished with the software as it increased with wondows directory by a 300mb but now as it seems to have improved performance i have left it installed.

anyone else have experienc of this?

the netframe.exe i used is 22.960 megs in size.

could you lot try it on yours and report back?

Edited by esecallum

Interesting.

Maybe it updates some of the operating systems files?

Could someone check to see if or what it actually updates.

when it was installing i saw lots and lots of files being unpacked...

my windows directory size increased from 1.2 gb to 1.5gb after!.

you can uninstall it from control panel.

Interesting. Maybe it updates some of the operating systems files? Could someone check to see if or what it actually updates.
Taking the original post at face value I re-installed .Net v.2. 0.50727 (My machine wasn't exactly top-ho so I thought not much to lose by trying it again.) I'm no techny but my machine does seem to be running a little better. Edited by celtish

there are more useful upgrades for system. Try to search mdac_typ.exe which updates ODCB data sources.

then if you were sucessful in installation of NET 2.0 you have to check "DirectX files" in DX diag. Then download and install latest DirectX 9.0c bimonthly update from august and checkt the dx file list again :)

I disagree. NFR is needed to run some apps. I see no real improvement to the system, besides the ability to run such apps. It sure clutters the disk. And NFR 1.1 does add a bug. <new info> And NFR 2.0 does it too! :angry: See my <updated> post on it: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=103131

Edited by dencorso

Yes, it is true that it doesn't replace any system file.

I wish to confirm that win me operates much more smoothly with net frame 2.00 and i can run super mpeg encode encoder,soulseek p2p,bitspirit torrent,aol heavy connection and firefox and irfanview all at the same time ....

ALL AT THE SAME TIME...

i do web browsing too...

open /close folders....

it's very smooth...

thye newer files ARE making a difference....

regardless of system file replacement....

have you got a list of the files in netframe??

could you spread the word to all win me and 98 users??

text,email,phone...

send group text to ll your friends...

Edited by esecallum

On my machine DotNet hooks some dlls into windows explorer and they get loaded with it at startup.

Those files are : mscoree.dll, mscorjit.dll, mscorlib.dll, mscorwks.dll, fusion.dll.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCOREE.DLL

C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V2.0.50727\MSCORJIT.DLL

C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V2.0.50727\MSCORWKS.DLL

C:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY\GAC_32\MSCORLIB\2.0.0.0__B77A5C561934E089\MSCORLIB.DLL

C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V2.0.50727\FUSION.DLL

There is nothing dotnet related in the run keys and I don't know for sure where they load from as I can't find reference to them with advanced startup tools so far.

Besides their CLSID keys (Fusion.dll has no CLSIDs, it apparently loads because it a dependency of MSCORWKS.DLL) they appear referenced in the registry under the following keys :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Components

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

So they maybe loading from one of those two keys unless they start from another location containing just a reference to one of their CLSIDs.

If windows explorer is terminated and restarted all those files don't appear anymore as modules loaded by explorer because they are actually not needed by it (like many other modules who load with it at startup BTW).

PS : MSCORLIB.DLL cannot be found on the disk with explorer or the windows search because it is in the GAC (Global Assembly Cache) folders and their contents are totally unavailable to them. Some third party file managers are able to browse through them thouh and perform standard file operations copy, move, delete on the files contained in them (I use MeeSoft Commander for that).

To the best of my observation on my own machine whose setup may not be typical and is certainly not a fresh install.

Edit : I found out why those dotnet files were getting loaded on startup. It is because I had not properly uninstalled a shell extension called FF COPY. Weirdly it was an executable but the dragdrophandler shellex key left was apparently calling upon mscoree.dll only.

Now that I have deleted this entry from the registry, no dotnet file loads on startup anymore.

Saying that I did not take into account the GAC folders and that some new file must well hook into the system permanently to create the fact that they are hidden from explorer but I cannot find a trace of that with any tool.

Edited by eidenk

Interesting. Maybe it updates some of the operating systems files? Could someone check to see if or what it actually updates.
Taking the original post at face value I re-installed .Net v.2. 0.50727 (My machine wasn't exactly top-ho so I thought not much to lose by trying it again.) I'm no techny but my machine does seem to be running a little better.
I see that DotNet v.1 has been mentioned here on this thread a few times. What is the diff between DotNet v.1 and the DotNet v.2.0.50727 which I imstalled??

Hey, I installed netframe on winme 2 weeks ago as ineeded to use an image processing software and this was a prerequiste.

i have noticed that it increased the size of my windows directory from 1.2 gb to 1.5 gb but the system seems to run much more smoothly on multitasking and hardly any out of memory errors.

my system before it was pretty quick and fast any way but running programs cpu/memory intensive programs like super and running multiple applications like browsers p2p at the same time etc.. etc made it seem clunky because of the memory issues which 9x suffers from but after installing netframe it seems to bea lot smoother since.

anyone else notice this.

i have over 1200 prgrams installed on my c drive.

my orginal intention was to remove net frame after i had finished with the software as it increased with wondows directory by a 300mb but now as it seems to have improved performance i have left it installed.

anyone else have experienc of this?

I think we shall treat you with the contempt you deserve

the netframe.exe i used is 22.960 megs in size.

could you lot try it on yours and report back?