does a virtual machine exist for windows 98/win me?

esecallum

I want to know to know if any virtual machine software is available which runs on winme.

this is so that i can run win2000 or xp in the virtual machine and in the virtual mahine create a ntfs file system to overcome the 2gb fat file size limit in dealing with largo iso files from 4 to 8 gb in size.

...and no i do not want to run winme in a win xp virtual machine as my winme has 1200 programs installed on it.

thanks.

In Virtual box, the VM runs in a vdi file, I guess it is impossible to have a 3Gig file inside the virtual box as the including file still is limitted by the resident file system.

Qemu can run on W9x. Qemu can also mount a physical harddisk, to overcome the 'Ponch problem'. However, I don't know if it can do so on W9x. It could be an NT only option. The possibility of mounting a physical CDRom is NT only.

VirtualBox only runs in 32bit.

so can virtualbox run in winme or not?

qemu seems to be too complicated and slow and is more of an emulator rather than a virtual machine.

also if i did installvmware or virtualbox in winxp could i simply copy over my existing winme installation or do i have to

actually instal it from an iso file.

reason is i dont want re-install 1200 applications again.

i have copied many ,many times my winme installation to different hard drives simply by using copy/paste or using unstappable copier version 1.97 and it has worked perfectly after setting the active partition to c: from dos using fdisk from a floppy.

so the question could i do the same inside the virtual machine.jus copy/paste the windows me files as i dont want to re-install 1200 applications.

so can virtualbox run in winme or not?

qemu seems to be too complicated and slow and is more of an emulator rather than a virtual machine.

NO.

Actually VirtualBox USES Qemu as engine.

But your problem is that if the host OS hasn't a filesystem capable of accessing such large files, the Vm won't either.

jaclaz

There is a VMWare Converter that may be able to make a virtual machine out of your Windows installation. If it works then you could install XP or Linux, etc and use VMWare Server for free to run your WinME Virtual machine with all your programs inside of the host OS. This is the only way I see of getting though your issues. Even with Fat32, you are still limited to 2GB file sizes, not partition sizes. I have never heard of a way around this.

To answer one question I see VirtualBox can run many guest OS's, including Windows ME; though support is somewhat limited. I do not know if ME could host a VM in VB, but it seems unlikely.

I do know Sysinternals did a driver for Win 9x to read NTFS. I think it is free for personal use. This might allow you to at least be able to read bigger files in ME from an NTFS partition. I doubt you can buy a license for the version that allows writing back to the partition since Microsoft bought Winternals.

Have you considered using QEMU. It's not a typical VM, but rather emulates the hardware. I am unsure if it would work, but it may be worth looking into.

You might see if Microsoft still offers Virtual PC 2004, maybe it supports Win 9x? Anyway good luck with this project. I hope some of these ideas might help.

Leland

:D

Even with Fat32, you are still limited to 2GB file sizes

4GB minus 1 byte, actually.

I do know Sysinternals did a driver for Win 9x to read NTFS. I think it is free for personal use. This might allow you to at least be able to read bigger files in ME from an NTFS partition.

No. W9x internally use a 32 bit filepointer, and so it can't access files beyond the 4GB limit.

I want to know to know if any virtual machine software is available which runs on winme.

this is so that i can run win2000 or xp in the virtual machine and in the virtual mahine create a ntfs file system to overcome the 2gb fat file size limit in dealing with largo iso files from 4 to 8 gb in size.

Virtual PC 5.1 should do the trick. It divides large hard disk images into smaller pieces. It officially supports Windows 98 and ME. And unlike Qemu it is accelera

ed so the performance is good. But it has also an annoying bug. If you leave the driver statically loading at boot your Windows will (in-)frequently fail to boot. The walkaround is to load the driver manually through Device Manager, and disable it when you've finished.

VPC 5.1 is the last version officially supporting Windows 9x. You can also try previous versions, it is possible that they don't have the bug I mentioned.

Virtual PC 5.1 should do the trick. It divides large hard disk images into smaller pieces. It officially supports Windows 98 and ME. And unlike Qemu it is accelera

ed so the performance is good. But it has also an annoying bug. If you leave the driver statically loading at boot your Windows will (in-)frequently fail to boot. The walkaround is to load the driver manually through Device Manager, and disable it when you've finished.

VPC 5.1 is the last version officially supporting Windows 9x. You can also try previous versions, it is possible that they don't have the bug I mentioned.

where can i get virtual pc 5.1 or earlier?

thanks.

Hey,you can find links for Virtual PC here at http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread....=837&page=2 :thumbup

And my username there is virtualmachine07.

But,can someone please can me a trial version serial number for Virtual PC 5.0.Can't get one from Connectix(Connectix =Company who originally created Virtual PC before Microsoft accquired it)because that company is defunct. 

Besides QEMU is buggy,VirtualBox runs on 2000 and XP ONLY.But,don't know about Vista.

But if you want something free download QEMU and QEMU Manager(A Gui for QEMU)since QEMU is DOS.Then download Kemu which can get you to about 70% Native Speed.

More VMs:

PearPC-PowerPC Emulator able to emulate Mac OS X ,Darwin and more.VERY SLOW!Not updated since Mac OS X isn't created for Power-PC anymore.

BasiliskII-Able to emualte Mac OS 6,7,and sometimes 8.Need to have legal Mac OS ROM file.

I am an expert at VMs so need any help give me a ring!

Edited by computerwizkid